Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dsirussell
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Post by dsirussell »

This year you must get a reservation to park at Summit Lake. https://www.recreation.gov/timed-entry/ ... t/10087442
However, the first reservation is 8:00am to 10:00am. Will there be any problems arriving before 8:00am? Will you be able to get to the trailhead? I'm thinking 6:00am or earlier is the ideal time for me.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Mt Evans, Summit Lake Parking

Post by Mtnman200 »

They assume that only tourists are buying passes and wouldn’t be driving up the road before 8 AM. You shouldn’t get in trouble for driving up the road before 8 AM, as there’s nobody at the entrance station to check and nobody at the Summit Lake parking lot. Just put your pass on your dash so it’s visible when you park. That’s what I did last week, and everything was fine.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Bfiles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bfiles »

Mtnman200 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm They assume that only tourists are buying passes and wouldn’t be driving up the road before 8 AM. You shouldn’t get in trouble for driving up the road before 8 AM, as there’s nobody at the entrance station to check and nobody at the Summit Lake parking lot. Just put your pass on your dash so it’s visible when you park. That’s what I did last week, and everything was fine.
When you say put “your pass”…which pass is that?
Bfiles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bfiles »

To be more clear, is that a reservation print out that goes on the dash? Any ideas on whether I need an 8 AM reservation if I’m planning to go through the gate at 6?…point being, would a 10 am slot work since either way I’m there way early?

Finally, do they not care that it’s a two hour reservation but the hike will take longer than that?

Thanks. As usual, the forest service and worse, recreation.gov website are totally worthless.