Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by justiner »

SamWerner wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:00 pm Maybe a dumb question, but where do you park your bike? Just lock it to a tree or something? It'd be really nice to take these sketchy roads on a bike but I'm not sure what I'd do when I get there.
It's a linchpin of a question.

I usually just put it in back of the info sign and lock it with a cable lock. If you're not comfortable with it being that close to the parking lot, take it aways up the trail (minding where the Wilderness Boundary is, if there is one) and tie it to a tree, or somewhere a little more inconspicuous. If there's no trees (say Mt Bierstadt), try in back of the outhouse - the handle to get to the Good Stuff makes an alright place to tie a bike to (and who's gunna be looking back there?). Another idea if you're camping the night before is just keep your campsite up, and put the bike in your tent - or at least near it. If you can't see a the bike from the road, no one is going to go search for something that may not be there - that's not how an opportunistic theft happens.

I would say that most any TH that's not right by a main road just isn't going to have a roving band of bike thieves looking for something easy to steal. A bike thief usually needs a market and that usually means a city. Go to Silverton and see all these nice bikes just laying around. No Side by Side owning Texan wants anything to do with your silly mountain bike.

On trips where I'm out for many days, I usually pick a trailhead that has a USFS campsite with host, and ask the host if I can stash it somewhere - they're usually very accommodating.

Two tours of the 14ers, without a problem. Some trailheads do have bike lockup areas, like Longs Peak, Maroon Bells, and Fourth of July TH. I bet we'll see one at Quandary soon. Any TH that's going to have a reservation system that doesn't apply to walkups or bike-ups will have one soon is my bet.

Like leaving anything - including a car, at the trailhead, there's a risk it'll get stolen something along those lines. The world can be ugly. But I think it's a small risk. Put the bike on some sort of insurance (renter's, etc), register the serial number - heck get something like the Spot Trace (or play around with the idea of an Apple AirTag). You also don't have to use the fanciest bike in the world. I rode a steel Surly to all the 14ers - black with all the stickers taken off to de-tune the look. A $5k+ full squish rig isn't needed.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

VeraUndertow wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:57 pm
dubsho3000 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 am
VeraUndertow wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 pm

From a report snow alien posted it looks like they posted no parking signs there already, but when I was there early June to Ski emperor, we parked our cars right at the turn off for grizzly gulch where the large and obvious "parking area" is. I parked in front of a sign that said not to block the road but didn't mention that you were not allowed to park at all. When we got back to our cars there were tickets on all of the cars windshields. They had come through at 6:00-6:30 am to ticket everyone parked there. I have a date with court and lots of pictures to fight my $85 ticket. Since they put up no parking signs I think they will be enforcing and not dismissing any more infractions. Hoping they dismiss mine since there were not any posted no parking signs at that time.
I had the exact same thing happen to me and my court date is 8/5. My ticket said "no parking" as the explanation for why I was cited, but there was no "no parking" sign. I have a few clear pictures that show I was not blocking the road so I'm hoping that will clear up my case. When do you go Vera?
My date is 8/5 at 9 am. Were you parked there 6/6? Or did they just schedule everyone same day no matter what?
No, I think mine was from the week before - 5/29. But I had to reschedule my court date and pushed it back a week. See you there! My appt is also at 9am.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

SamWerner wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:00 pm Maybe a dumb question, but where do you park your bike? Just lock it to a tree or something? It'd be really nice to take these sketchy roads on a bike but I'm not sure what I'd do when I get there.
I am very glad to read of Justin's experiences for statistical reassurance!
justiner wrote: I would say that most any TH that's not right by a main road just isn't going to have a roving band of bike thieves looking for something easy to steal. A bike thief usually needs a market and that usually means a city.
Agreed! The one time we did have bikes stolen was by meth heads in a hotel parking lot in Council Bluffs, Iowa, a place which I cannot say enough bad things about.

Otherwise, I've locked or stashed a bike a few handfuls of times, also without incidence (knock on wood), in various states and countries, for trailhead transportation. I've locked it to trees, or simply locked the wheel to the frame so that's it not convenient to take and ride away, or just stashed it. I've even left a note at times that said "Please don't steal or I'll be stranded" (not sure if that's been useful), similar to "Just a Dad / Nothing of Value" (which is true!) sometimes on my car dashboard.

Main thing though, there *should* be bike racks IMHO at popular trailheads in places where people fight to drive a couple extra miles at slow (possibly slower than biking or even hiking) speeds, to normalize it more and remind the idea that it's a great way to get all the way to the trailhead or even a useful part of it. Basically if you have a "large" parking area or area that fills up regularly, then it should have at least one bike rack.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I remember being on Bel/Ox in a state of pure bliss and happiness, as I was thinking of starting a non-profit about putting these bike lockup areas at trailheads. Some dude also on the summit decided to weigh in: "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard". So I would like one at the Missouri Gulch TH too.

Looking at the prices of lock ups they are not super expensive, and maybe putting together a non-profit to actually buy, transport, then install bike lockups working with the forest service isn't actually so crazy. If it can be done without pouring concrete, it could almost be done for the price of the bike lockup and a few people's day's labor.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

justiner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:35 pm I was thinking of starting a non-profit about putting these bike lockup areas at trailheads.
Looking at the prices of lock ups they are not super expensive, and maybe putting together a non-profit to actually buy, transport, then install bike lockups working with the forest service isn't actually so crazy. If it can be done without pouring concrete, it could almost be done for the price of the bike lockup and a few people's day's labor.
:thumbup:
I'd be down for time and money!
I was just thinking to myself, which RMNP lots do/do not have racks? Maybe almost none of them except for Longs? I don't think Lumpy Ridge or Bear Lake do, despite the former being full, popular, and not-that-far-from-town, and the latter being so full that it has bus service, and a (relatively) popular bike ride.

Realistically, even e-bikes are likely to factor into our future.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

eBikes are going to be a HUGE factor in the future. I could see visitors renting them and bringing them up to the Winter Trailhead to zoom up the Summer. eMTB rentals are all over Summit County. If people aren't already doing this to go to the Maroon Bells from Aspen city center, I just really can't understand why not.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

justiner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:05 pm eBikes are going to be a HUGE factor in the future. I could see visitors renting them and bringing them up to the Winter Trailhead to zoom up the Summer. eMTB rentals are all over Summit County. If people aren't already doing this to go to the Maroon Bells from Aspen city center, I just really can't understand why not.
Ebikes are 90% of the bikes in the rack at the Maroon bells, both last year as well as this year.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

justiner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:05 pm eBikes are going to be a HUGE factor in the future. I could see visitors renting them and bringing them up to the Winter Trailhead to zoom up the Summer. eMTB rentals are all over Summit County. If people aren't already doing this to go to the Maroon Bells from Aspen city center, I just really can't understand why not.
Not super on topic, but does anyone know why regular bikes are allowed on some trails, whereas eBikes aren't? It seems like the only difference is that eBikes require less effort to ride.

Back on topic - yes, biking to an upper TH does sound like a good idea. Slow on the way up, but saves a lot of walking time coming back down. Might consider that for Grays and Torreys if I ever head out there again for Kelso Ridge.
It's too bad Lake Como Road is probably too bumpy to make biking uphill useful, otherwise I'd jump on that idea.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm
Not super on topic, but does anyone know why regular bikes are allowed on some trails, whereas eBikes aren't? It seems like the only difference is that eBikes require less effort to ride.
Yeah! big topic in of itself. Long story short, it's what the NPS, UFSF and any other local (city/state) have negotiated and is dependent on the land manager of whatever you're on. Some of the decisions are pretty contentious and it would be wise to wade into that in new/different post. :lol:
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pmIt's too bad Lake Como Road is probably too bumpy to make biking uphill useful, otherwise I'd jump on that idea.
It's challenging, but not outside the realm of doable. You can think of it just like challenging yourself with any other vehicle. I had a great time going down it! But the chances you're going to get a major mechanical is pretty great. I look forward to taking my 29+ bike up/down it. Right tool for the job!
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:55 pm

There are 2 classes of ebikes. One is totally pedal assist, no throttle and tops out at 20 mph. The other class has a throttle and requires no pedaling to make the bike go. The latter tend to be the culprit and what you see at maroon bells. Not sure why they are allowed when something like a moped wouldn't be. I know Jefferson county allows the former but does not allow the latter. As always, enforcement is an issue.

I think most reasonable people can get their heads around the pedal assist. The full on throttle that requires no pedaling, to me that is a motor vehicle.
bf31415
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bf31415 »

Dare i suggest e-bike rentals being one of the ways to address parking at the G&T trail head?
viaultla
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viaultla »

I have several people flying in town and we plan to hike this august 14. Can anyone help me with providing alternate lots if the road to the top is closed? Is 5 am too late to find parking? Thanks!