Seeking advice for first-time mountain camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lenticular
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Seeking advice for first-time mountain camping

Post by Lenticular »

Hi, I've lurked here for recently but finally decided to make an account to ask for input from those more knowledgeable and experienced.

A buddy and I were recently in Colorado to summit a couple peaks (including Bierstadt, my first 14er!). For a while we talked about doing some camping, but it wasn't going to work out for our recent trip. Now we're kind of fantasizing about our next excursion and have thought about camping for it. The rough idea is to spend a night or two out and tag a few peaks along the way. This isn't something we're the most experienced at, so I was hoping you guys could help. Here are my questions:
  • What are some resources you can point me toward regarding camping in the mountains?
  • What are your recommendations for such a trip like I described? It doesn't have to be 14ers, we're open to ideas/lower peaks if it's easier or safer.
  • We were thinking about doing this in late October. Obviously snow can fall at that time, so is camping during this time a bad idea?
  • If October camping is possible, what cold/snow weather gear do we need to put on our list?
I've hiked mountains before, but I haven't hiked terrain as high as what Colorado has, much less camped in it. I appreciate your advice and anything else you think might be good information to have. If I have any other questions I'll follow up or add them to the list.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Seeking advice for first-time mountain camping

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

Camping in Colorado in the mountains in late October is miserably cold so you’ll need a 4 season tent, a very nice sleeping bag, and serious commitment. I would recommend camping at lower elevation. Many if not most of the high peaks will have some snow on them at that time which adds significantly to the danger.

My recommendation is to tackle a front range 13er or 12er and camp at the trail head to maximize your enjoyment. This site is a good place to get some advice on lower elevation peaks at that time of year. A nice easy winter mountain is Mt. Sniktau but camping around there may be weird. Anyone know if Kite Lake is open that late into the season? They could just camp for Decalibron.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ill agree with the above comment, end of october it can be clear skies but it will almost certainly be very cold, even colder if you're coming from out of state and not acclimated, would recommend a low commitment route so you can bail easily.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

By late October the days will be much shorter so you might be spending 12+ hours in your tent.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Late October weather can be anything from summer-like to full-on winter so come prepared. Yes, it could be very cold at night, but could also be acceptably pleasant (20s-30s). You probably won't need a 4 season tent, but you better have a good 3 season! Much will depend on your camping elevation and WHERE in Colorado. There are so many variables it would be hard to pin point anything at this time. Also, are you planning on backpacking or car camping. Big difference in preparation and resources available.

Do not plan on camping near Mt. Sniktau. For one thing, there is no overnight parking. Another, its pretty high elevation and I'm not even certain of where you could camp. I suggest picking a location first and worry about gear just prior to your trip. Check back at this site a couple weeks before you head out. At least the world will have a better handle on overall conditions and potential weather forecasts.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.