maroon parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
limatoolad
Trip Reports (0)

maroon parking

Post by limatoolad »

does anyone have firsthand, this year knowledge of parking options here. can i arrive at 3am pay the fee in envelope and park in day use, climb then leave? if that's not what they want what happens if i do...tow...ticket..scolding? i understand shuttle options but hate tents
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Re: maroon parking

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

You need a reservation.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
benmangelsdorf
14ers: 38  6 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benmangelsdorf »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:07 pm You need a reservation.
I thought you only needed a reservation if you were arriving between 8AM and 5PM?
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

I believe you need an appropriate reservation 24 hours a day.
limatoolad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by limatoolad »

thus my question, i talked to forest service and a very polite person told me in a very unsure tone they thought i could just park if in that early. i talked to highmnt taxi about getting a ride in and they said they may not travel that road but really weren't sure if that applied to early am hours. I'm driving from 12 hrs away makes it a little hard to plan
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Here's where you find all the parking, shuttle, and drop off information. Parking reservations are required 24/7. There are no midnight to midnight reservations available in July or August. When I checked a few minutes ago there was one day permit (midnight to 4:30 pm) available 8/31. There are no 60 hour permits available until October.

https://aspenchamber.org/plan-trip/trip ... tle-season
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I’m not normally on the Justiner bike bandwagon but in this case….just ride a bike.
jjust
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjust »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:07 pm You need a reservation.
I don’t think this is true. I made an online reservation from midnight to 4:30 pm. Showed up at the entry station at 4:00 am and just drove to the day use area. No one mans the station during the night. There are self pay envelopes at the station before 8:00 am. I grabbed an envelope but didn’t pay and simply wrote my name on the envelope with a note that said I paid online. If you don’t make or have a reservation, just go early, grab an envelope, pay the fee, and drive up and park in the day use area. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but this is what I experienced two weeks ago.
climbforthesoul
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbforthesoul »

Anyone have any info on this? Going to climb Pyramid Saturday last minute and will need to start early for afternoon Thunderstorm purposes so the shuttle isn’t an option.
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

You need a reservation. Print it out and put it in your windshield. Even with a reservation you can’t arrive after 8a. You don’t need to stop at the self pay station if you have a printed copy…. I’ve been up twice this year and another next week. Don’t know the penalty for noncompliance since I’ve made a reservation each time pita that it was! TT
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

From the reservation web page: "Overnight visitors will need to print and display their reservation on the dashboard of their vehicle. Daily and hourly visitors do not need to print their reservation." I've been up there 5 days (and 4 nights) already this month. Not as bad as I thought it would be with the new reservation system.
b_esker
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 178 17 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by b_esker »

We went a month ago. We had a midnight to midnight reservation. Showed up sometime around 3am. We didn't print any confirmation out. We just left our parks pass on the dash. We didn't get checked on the way in or the way out. When we got back to the lot around 3pm, it was ridiculously empty. Maybe 10% of spots filled with cars. I couldn't believe how empty it was on this beautiful, sunny afternoon.