Mt Evans road does not require reservation

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DWrx
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Evans road does not require reservation

Post by DWrx »

The following video clearly shows the ranger saying you don't need to pay the fee or get a reservation to visit Mt Evans. The second video shows where the fee areas are and how to.avoid them. Good info for anyone heading that way.
starsstuff
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Evans road does not require reservation

Post by starsstuff »

I left a message for a ranger there and got a call back yesterday and confirmed. I wanted to know if I needed a reservation or parking permit to park at the big switchback before the summit to hike. She said no. It sounds like the reservation is similar to the previous parking passes and they only apply to the parking lots.
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singin',
You're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky
(Summertime, lyrics by DuBose Heyward)
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

If you just drive the road and do not get out you don't have to pay.

There was a lawsuit about it.

But you essentially have to drive up and down.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

^ You have to pay to park near the summit or in the main summit lake parking lot. But there are places where you can park legally and for free. Last time i checked this included a small lot maybe half mile before the summit lake lot; and the area near the first switch back towards the summit (as also indicated by starsstuff).
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

dude, you joined mountain project yesterday and posted the same thing. now you join 14ers just to show how cool you are?

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/t ... -121015511
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Perfect! Welcome to 14er and the Proj, where useful beta like this is always welcome.

Now if someone could provide a PSA on how to legally access the Long Lake TH before the 5 AM window, that would be rad :)
curt86iroc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 am dude, you joined mountain project yesterday and posted the same thing. now you join 14ers just to show how cool you are?

Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

mtnkub wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:43 am ^ You have to pay to park near the summit or in the main summit lake parking lot.
Yep, and even if its "just for a second while I use the bathroom or take a photo" you have to pay.

But if parking for the tour de abyss area, that spot is free to park all day.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
DWrx
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DWrx »

curt86iroc wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 am dude, you joined mountain project yesterday and posted the same thing. now you join 14ers just to show how cool you are?

I'm baffled by this response. I don't think I'm cool. I posted it because I saw it and thought people should know what the rules are. That wouldn't make me cool, whatever "cool" is.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

DWrx wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm baffled by this response. I don't think I'm cool. I posted it because I saw it and thought people should know what the rules are. That wouldn't make me cool, whatever "cool" is.
it's how you did it that i have a problem with (i'm assuming you are the one who made the video). secretly taping an employee then joining forums just to post the video seems jerkish. you could just have simply NOT posted the video and recapped your experience...

if this wasn't you, then my mistake.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

eskermo wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:36 am Now if someone could provide a PSA on how to legally access the Long Lake TH before the 5 AM window, that would be rad :)
Oh, f**king lame! I didn't realize Brainard was doing this too...

Any idea if they're allowing bikes in without a reservation like RMNP?

edit - nevermind, you can enter on bike w/o a res
Make wilderness less accessible.
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

DWrx wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Don't sweat it. I love this site, but these sorts of comments are why the forum gets the (deserved) reputation of being unwelcoming to newer folks. The info is helpful and most readers/viewers appreciate it.