*PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: *PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Post by daway8 »

Candace66 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:38 pm justiner...so with regard to Quandary, you're recommending people pedal from Breckenridge to the TH? Or from some other starting point?
Just in case you're not aware and are perhaps thinking (like me) that this sounds like an unreasonable distance to ride a bike, keep in mind that justiner is the guy who completed all the centennials a few years back with no transportation other than his bicycle (see https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/justin-s ... ks-by-bike)

So I expect he'd recommend biking from anywhere to anywhere since, well, he's done it... (that's a bit too hard core for me though).
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 am
Even better is if people didn't steal bikes.
After spending a number of years living in Japan, I got pretty used to people just, you know, not stealing things.

Most of the commuting bikes there have little kickstands (not the tippy ones), and if anyone locks it up at all it's a 6 inch loop one through the rear wheel. That's it. Even for $3000 ebikes that all the women use with their kids on them.

My garage was just a hole in the side of a steep hill, no door, no lock, and I didn't feel the least bit worried about leaving bikes, kayak, Paddle board, paddles, out in the open.

As long as we're reimagining society, let's get one that doesn't steal.
Wow, that sounds almost surreal!
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

daway8 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 am
Just in case you're not aware and are perhaps thinking (like me) that this sounds like an unreasonable distance to ride a bike, keep in mind that justiner is the guy who completed all the centennials a few years back with no transportation other than his bicycle (see https://www.rei.com/blog/cycle/justin-s ... ks-by-bike)

So I expect he'd recommend biking from anywhere to anywhere since, well, he's done it... (that's a bit too hard core for me though).
[/quote]

That's where I was ultimately going: Most find climbing a few thousand feet, typically starting at 9000+ feet elevation, to be sufficiently strenuous. Riding to and from the TH on a bicycle on top of that is beyond the capabilities of many, if not most.

Also, if I'm planning an "alpine start" by headlamp, I'm not sure I want to be riding a bicycle to the TH in pre-dawn darkness. :o

BTW, I used to do quite a lot of road biking. For various reasons, I got out of it. And now I'm too old to pretend I'm invincible and won't end up crippled or dead at the hands of a driver who's tired, intoxicated, speeding, distracted, or some combination of those. :?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

An alternate for biking that is shorter (but steeper) would be to park on Hoosier Pass, bike downhill to the trailhead and then bike back up after your hike or try and hitch a ride after your hike. its only 800 vertical that way and about 2 miles. Not saying its easy, but seems quicker than biking up from Breck in the morning if someone did want to bike.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day