*PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: *PSA* Reservation/Shuttles for Quandary Starting 7/30/21

Post by cedica »

madbuck wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:28 pm For the long-tourer and Euro-style visitor that's already possibly taking a bus out to Frisco -- other options are a bus to Breck Airport PnR and then the bus to the TH, yeah?
Practically turning into Düsseldorf up there as we speak.
DAF.jpg
DAF.jpg (29.82 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

justiner wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:31 pm
barnsy12 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 pm Does the parking reservation apply to Blue Lakes TH as well? That doesn’t seem so clear…
I don’t believe it does although I can see it’ll put more pressure on that th as well as nearby ones. The scary question is, will this drive more people to do the west ridge route who aren’t ready for it? This is a route of many rescues.
The West Ridge description on this website says the new parking rules apply there.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

justiner wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pmbutts on bikes
this should be the name of your nonprofit.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

timisimaginary wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:54 am
justiner wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pmbutts on bikes
this should be the name of your nonprofit.
"Butts on Bikes" is a thing, I believe - around Beaverton. The preceding message was not a joke.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Traveler wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am
barnsy12 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 pm Does the parking reservation apply to Blue Lakes TH as well? That doesn’t seem so clear…
I don’t believe it does although I can see it’ll put more pressure on that th as well as nearby ones. The scary question is, will this drive more people to do the west ridge route who aren’t ready for it? This is a route of many rescues.
The West Ridge description on this website says the new parking rules apply there.
No signage indicating that, and no other info online. Since it's not a forest service trailhead (owned by CO Springs) they don't provide info. Most people go there just to hang out by the reservoir.

While the quandary trailhead was closed this week for these changes, everyone parked on blue lakes rd. Didn't see tickets.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

cougar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Traveler wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am

No signage indicating that, and no other info online. Since it's not a forest service trailhead (owned by CO Springs) they don't provide info. Most people go there just to hang out by the reservoir.

While the quandary trailhead was closed this week for these changes, everyone parked on blue lakes rd. Didn't see tickets.
I was under the impression that the reservation system doesn't start until today - if so, it would be premature to make assumptions about Blue Lakes based on recent observations... (but I really have no idea - mostly just commenting to stay in the loop...)
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

justiner wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pm And as solutions go, it's just so easy to start with just a bike lock up area at a popular trailhead. .. - you can find a bicycle lock up area...
Even better is if people didn't steal bikes.
After spending a number of years living in Japan, I got pretty used to people just, you know, not stealing things.

Most of the commuting bikes there have little kickstands (not the tippy ones), and if anyone locks it up at all it's a 6 inch loop one through the rear wheel. That's it. Even for $3000 ebikes that all the women use with their kids on them.

My garage was just a hole in the side of a steep hill, no door, no lock, and I didn't feel the least bit worried about leaving bikes, kayak, Paddle board, paddles, out in the open.

As long as we're reimagining society, let's get one that doesn't steal.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Well again I don’t lock up my bike in any real sense at 14er trailheads. The bike lock up area is more so that there’s more than one place to put a bike and to generally promote riding a bike. Usually I put it on the info sign but that doesn’t really scale. Having people just ditch bikes in the surrounding forests is also not scalable, not LNT. Not having an equitable option is going to make cyclists look like a uncaring bunch what with all this trash splayed around. [-X
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Emitting invisible carbon and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere is perfectly acceptable, but bikes leaning on trees are not. Style always wins over substance. :mrgreen:
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cedica wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm ^^^ Emitting invisible carbon and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere is perfectly acceptable, but bikes leaning on trees are not. Style always wins over substance. :mrgreen:
LOL just being honest. You have to remember cyclists get crud from obeying the law perfectly when riding on the street as well as not obeying the law perfectly. No need to give people who are against cycling any more ammo in their fight for complete dominance of shared public spaces. "If you build it, they will come" - for bike lock up areas at trailheads, that seems to ring true. Non-crazies (unlike myself) are already riding bikes from town to the trailhead. THE FUTURE IS NOW.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 am
justiner wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pm And as solutions go, it's just so easy to start with just a bike lock up area at a popular trailhead. .. - you can find a bicycle lock up area...
Even better is if people didn't steal bikes.
After spending a number of years living in Japan, I got pretty used to people just, you know, not stealing things.

Most of the commuting bikes there have little kickstands (not the tippy ones), and if anyone locks it up at all it's a 6 inch loop one through the rear wheel. That's it. Even for $3000 ebikes that all the women use with their kids on them.

My garage was just a hole in the side of a steep hill, no door, no lock, and I didn't feel the least bit worried about leaving bikes, kayak, Paddle board, paddles, out in the open.

As long as we're reimagining society, let's get one that doesn't steal.
moving Quandary Peak to Japan would definitely solve the problem.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Holy moley, another data point illustrating how crowded the 14ers are these days. I'm glad I knocked out as many 14ers as I did before things got so crazy. :shock:

I'm not criticizing this shuttle, etc. plan. Evidently it's needed. Just recalling when I could drive from Denver up to a 14er TH on a weekend morning and find a parking spot, no problem.

BTW, I helped alleviate traffic and crowding in CO by not having kids and moving away. :mrgreen:

justiner...so with regard to Quandary, you're recommending people pedal from Breckenridge to the TH? Or from some other starting point?