Mt. Lindsey Parking/ Road safety

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Corbinw45
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Lindsey Parking/ Road safety

Post by Corbinw45 »

Hey, considering hiking up Lindsey the week of August 9th and I'm trying to figure out how safe the roads are leading up to Lily Lake TH. I've got a front wheel drive fairly low clearance sedan and am wondering how close I can get to the TH safely and also if the allow parking on the side of the road leading up on 580? I don't mind hiking a couple of extra miles each way but just curious so I know what to prepare for. Thanks!
brousseau
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Lindsey Parking/ Road safety

Post by brousseau »

Corbinw45 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 am Hey, considering hiking up Lindsey the week of August 9th and I'm trying to figure out how safe the roads are leading up to Lily Lake TH. I've got a front wheel drive fairly low clearance sedan and am wondering how close I can get to the TH safely and also if the allow parking on the side of the road leading up on 580? I don't mind hiking a couple of extra miles each way but just curious so I know what to prepare for. Thanks!
I hiked Lindsey two weekends ago. At the trailhead parking, I only saw trucks, 4x4s, and AWD sedans. I don't think you should try to get all the way to the trailhead in a low clearance sedan. There are plenty of parking areas for you to safely park your car about 2 to 3 miles from the trailhead.

Good luck, have fun and avoid the gully.

John
Instagram: @jbparker_co
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I have been told high clearance vehicles are what typically makes it to the TH. Most climbers park at the turn and just walk the road up.
I am doing this Sunday and can provide more info if required.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

It's rough the last few miles and there's a steep.hill your car would never make it up. Parking lower is limited with all the private property. The state wildlife area parking is a few miles below the trailhead but think you need a permit.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

I made it all the way to the TH (and back) in a low clearance sedan a few years back, an 08 Nissan Altima, but in hindsight it was a poor decision to do that and I would not recommend it or ever do it again. If anything were to go wrong and require a tow, etc., you’re probably looking at big $$ costs to “course correct”, all wrapped up in a really, really bad day. I can also reinforce that the “steep hill” (or hills) at the end were indeed a bad idea in that vehicle - I was barely able to squeak through that final section. Bottom line is that doing this is really begging for trouble.
Corbinw45
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corbinw45 »

cougar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:39 am It's rough the last few miles and there's a steep.hill your car would never make it up. Parking lower is limited with all the private property. The state wildlife area parking is a few miles below the trailhead but think you need a permit.
Ok great, thanks for the info! Any idea where I might be able to find that permit if it is in fact required? Thanks!
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gorshkov »

I looked into that idea earlier this year (I ended up doing Kit Carson and Challenger instead), but a 1-day SWA pass is available here for $9: https://www.cpwshop.com/. One thing to keep in mind if you're not hiking solo is that each person in your group has to have a pass. If you have the pass, there are campsites you can use for no additional charge. I don't believe there is potable water at the campsites but there are picnic tables, tent pads, and pit toilets. If you have a mountain bike, I would recommend bringing that, since its about 4 miles each way from the SWA to the upper trailhead.
mkurtism
14ers: 11  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mkurtism »

Was just there this last weekend, tons of rain and some washouts over the past few days. Last 3+ miles to TH is very steep, need a vehicle with good clearance. There are places to park a few miles down from TH, still somewhat rough going even lower down though.
ClimbingFool
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Could someone clarify a few more items with this thread? If I take a 2WD sedan or up the road towards Lily Lake, at what mile or landmark would you recommend I park before the road gets too rough? Or is the road not one of those 'no-point-of-return' roads where I could still turn around and retreat if things look too dicey?

Thanks in advance!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

It has been a couple years, but in answer to your question about options to turn around, my recollection is this:

It is an easy road to quit any time you don't like it. By which I mean there are adequate places to turn around without feeling like you might fall off a cliff. It does get bumpy and you do need decent clearance to get to the end, but there are pull offs and parking places plenty so you can venture up as far as you dare and quit when you like. Of all the "difficult" approaches, I think this one is the easiest in this respect. The entire way is below treeline and never on an edge where you feel like you will die if you make a mistake.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
ClimbingFool
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

Thank you! That's what I needed to hear.
14erobsessedkansan
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 14erobsessedkansan »

took a 2wd Hyundai Sonata up to Lily TH two years 3 years ago, so much could have changed on the road since then. the only issue was the steep hill folks have mentioned. Took two tries, gaining better momentum and line, but I felt lucky it made it up. I would not do it again. Planning on hitting this mountain this weekend and will be doing it with high clearance 4wd.