Sand Dunes camping - high clearance needed?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Sand Dunes camping - high clearance needed?

Post by pvnisher »

Looking to go camping with a friend this weekend. I haven't been to the Sand Dunes for a while, and can't really remember what the camping situation is like. I think we're looking for car camping (ie, short to no hike in), but not a campground. Are there good spots?

Also, this same friend said he heard that in order to do any camping at the Sand Dunes you've got to have a high clearance 4wd. That doesn't mesh with my memory, but it was a long time ago. So for a stock (Pathfinder/Pilot/etc), is there decent camping available?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sand Dunes camping - high clearance needed?

Post by SkaredShtles »

You'd have to head up Medano Pass Rd. for "dispersed" camping. https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/ ... s-road.htm

From that page:

"4-Wheel Drive (4WD) vehicles are required on this road. All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) vehicles, mini-SUVs, wagons, and similar vehicles with lower clearance will get stuck in the deep sand or creek crossings."
pbarn
14ers: 51 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pbarn »

There are a few spots along Medano Pass where you can camp on a first-come basis. I'd definitely recommend a 4x4, and be prepared to air-down (and up again) if necessary for the stretches of sand. The road isn't super nasty but there is a lot of water crossings, and some parts of the road can have standing water just puddling up - which can potentially make spots almost unpassable at times (found that out the hard way).

You can read more about camping on the Medano Pass site - https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/ ... s-road.htm

If you want to camp in the actual dunes, the road to the parking lot where you would start your walk in is paved.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

pvnisher wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:47 pm Looking to go camping with a friend this weekend. I haven't been to the Sand Dunes for a while, and can't really remember what the camping situation is like. I think we're looking for car camping (ie, short to no hike in), but not a campground. Are there good spots?

Also, this same friend said he heard that in order to do any camping at the Sand Dunes you've got to have a high clearance 4wd. That doesn't mesh with my memory, but it was a long time ago. So for a stock (Pathfinder/Pilot/etc), is there decent camping available?
There are plenty of nice backcountry spots on the Medano Pass road once you've cleared the deep sand section. The creek crossings should be low now.
To get there, you need low range and more clearance than a modern Pathfinder. Those are like cars. Rijaca's old ass Pathfinder would make it, no problem.
I made it through and back in a Forester many moons ago, but that was after a rain with no passengers.
The next time, I had my gf with me and I buried it so deep that it took a Tundra and another vehicle to pull me free.
My FJ makes it with ease. Rear lock helps
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

All good info.
I can't remember where I camped last time I was there. Wasn't out on the dunes, but definitely wasn't up any sort of difficult 4wd road.
The fog of memory.

Sounds like a 3 row SUV wouldn't get too far without doing the old "momentum will make up for traction" trick and not caring about damage.