condition of road via Creede to Beartown

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdwyer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

condition of road via Creede to Beartown

Post by bdwyer »

Anyone been in there recently and know current conditions?
With I70 closed now and then and the US 50 closure, going via Creede is tempting. Last year I heard the Timber Hill area was even worse than before (and have no idea what that means as I have never gone in that way to Beartown.
Any information is appreciated.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: condition of road via Creede to Beartown

Post by Mtnman200 »

I’ve driven the road up Timber Hill twice in stock 4WD Toyotas, most recently in 2018. Getting to Beartown that way is a lot rougher than the approach from Silverton, enough that I’ve vowed never to take the Timber Hill route again. If it’s gotten worse in the past three years, I’ll definitely never regret taking the much milder Silverton approach over Stony Pass instead.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

I went that way last fall and swore I’d never do it again. Stock 1st gen Tundra 4x4 with 2” lift and factory rear LSD did fine but it’s ROUGH and one of those roads you can walk almost as fast. I did it well after dark and that was a good thing as passing room is negligible in many places. Go around is my $.02. TT
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Highway 50 will be open until i70 is open.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I am planning on Beartown from Silverton around 8/12/21. I will report back. Hoping the weather holds out so I can finish up my centennial list with Jagged.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months