Seasonality of Marmy / Porky Vehicle Wire Chewing at THs

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Seasonality of Marmy / Porky Vehicle Wire Chewing at THs

Post by rijaca »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:41 am I'd only heard San Juans (specifically those above) have issues with critters - I haven't heard any anecdotes about animal issues in Sawatch or elsewhere, but I could be mistaken. Unc, RoA, etc. I may take precautions depending on time of year and current-season stories.
We saw a porky crawl out from underneath a SUV parked at the McNasser TH (Sawatch). And had a porky harass us while car camped at the upper South Colony Lakes TH (Sangres).

Be aware, they're everywhere!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

I had a porcupine poking around under my Jeep Renegade at Iowa Gulch last September and an unidentified critter messing around at Spruce Creek (Tenmile Range) earlier that same month. I think the skid plates helped keep them away from sensitive areas (that and me chasing them off...).

Both times I was sleeping (or trying to) in my vehicle, otherwise likely wouldn't have been aware they were around (I suspect a lot more vehicles get visited than people realize - it's often only when they do significant damage that people find out about them - unless they're in their vehicle at the time).
Tufftommy-BV
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 509
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tufftommy-BV »

I parked at the end of 870 last week past where most folks start for Wetterhorn. Since I was spending the night I wrapped my truck in snow fence then walked off to scout the start of the trail to Sunshine Mtn. A. While walking up the trail a Porky ran across the trail in front of me even though it was 2p and I thought they were nocturnal. This one was not. When I got back to my truck there was a Marmot stuck INSIDE the snow fence under my truck. After thrashing around he/she finally extricated him/herself and I piled rocks on the bottom of the fence. No damage to my Tundra, but they are out there!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted....
RWinters
14ers: 58 
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

They are everywhere! I was at Missouri Lakes 4wd TH in Holy Cross Wilderness a month ago and came back to $2400 damage with an older Toyota Sequioa. I didn't think they were there, but they are.
"It's just right there"