Inpendence Pass Closed

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Inpendence Pass Closed

Post by CORed »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 pm I went over Independence Pass this past Friday and Sunday. On Friday morning it was a surprise to learn I-70 was closed again because as of Thurs evening it was open.

I'll say by the time I reached the pass via Leadville route it was fairly crowded, but not ridiculously. The two chokepoints where its a one-lane road was tough sledding. Cars trying to squeeze by each other. A dually made it real difficult for everyone! Got through without trading paint or mirrors. Once through Aspen the traffic on Hwy 82 headed into Aspen was backed up past the airport.

I left early Sunday morning and traffic over the pass was fine. No issues. There was a CDOT vehicle making certain no large vehicles would attempt the pass, but if a truck hauling a trailer or big RV showed up I'm not sure how they would turn around at that point. Kinda bizarro. That said, I think the suggested route over Berthoud Pass that CORed mentioned is already VERY popular. I hit a huge amount of traffic exiting onto I-70 at that point.

I'm not sure traffic lights at the chokepoints on Independence Pass would work. One of the sections is fairly long and blind so how would you time it to be certain vehicles got through? Or if someone blew through the light? Besides the miles of warning signs for no vehicles over 35 feet there should be something warning about trailers and large RVs. Or wide load vehicles. I agree that blatant lying about the pass being closed is BS. Makes you not trust anything you hear or read which just makes issues like this one even more difficult. Barring manning it with traffic flaggers I'm not sure of a better solution other than to blast away the mountain and make it 2 lanes.
I've seen the single lane traffic lights work well at construction sites. I'm not sure exactly how they control the timing, but I've not seen one turn green before traffic from the other direction has cleared. I think it would be an improvement over uncontrolled biderectional traffic.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

rijaca wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm 285/50 is open from Denver to GJ.
Yes. It put me out of a job since I was supposed to help run the bridge over the South Platte on 285 south of Fairplay. The day we were supposed to close the road to start the bridge demo and other things we got a phone call telling us not to so it. The project is on hold indefinitely.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Scott P wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:39 pm
rijaca wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm 285/50 is open from Denver to GJ.
Yes. It put me out of a job since I was supposed to help run the bridge over the South Platte on 285 south of Fairplay. The day we were supposed to close the road to start the bridge demo and other things we got a phone call telling us not to so it. The project is on hold indefinitely.
How does CDOT get the money to clear an indeterminate number of mudslides off I-70 (and to do related repair work there)? Are they redirecting funds from the 285 project? I know the budget is super tight so I assume something else must not be getting funded at the anticipated level to make room for the I-70 work?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ekalina wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:52 pmHow does CDOT get the money to clear an indeterminate number of mudslides off I-70 (and to do related repair work there)?
There are emergency funds, plus the state is applying for Federal Disaster Aid. Fixing Glenwood Canyon is going to be extremely costly. It's more than just fixing the present damage since if they just did that, it would just destroy the whole thing again the next heavy rain. The temporary fix alone could cost $70 million.
Are they redirecting funds from the 285 project?

No, in fact it's going to cost a lot more money to do 285 now. CDOT has to pay contractor standby time for shut downs that CDOT directs and that are out of the contractor's control. CDOT (under directions of some polticians as well) directed the project to shut down so they have to pay the contractor. Same with HIghway 50. I won't say how much it is, but it's a lot. Unfortunately, stanby time only applies to contractors and not consultants (I am a consultant).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ekalina
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ekalina »

Scott P wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:43 pm There are emergency funds, plus the state is applying for Federal Disaster Aid.
It's good to hear that there's some money in reserve, and that there could be federal funding too. It's unfortunate that the standby costs will make the 285 project more expensive, but I'm sure the contractors are thankful to still get paid. Sorry that your job was impacted!
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

From a geo hazard and constructability perspective, the ONLY fixes for Glenwood Canyon should be considered temporary.
Scott P wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:43 pm ...Fixing Glenwood Canyon is going to be extremely costly. It's more than just fixing the present damage since if they just did that, it would just destroy the whole thing again the next heavy rain. The temporary fix alone could cost $70 million.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

CORed wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm I've seen the single lane traffic lights work well at construction sites. I'm not sure exactly how they control the timing, but I've not seen one turn green before traffic from the other direction has cleared. I think it would be an improvement over uncontrolled biderectional traffic.
My first time on Independence Pass, it just blew my mind that there wasn't a stoplight there. I wonder how many accidents (minor or major) have happened there because two cars played chicken with each other.