Yule Pass via Schofiled Pass and Paradise Divide Rd

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
skypilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Yule Pass via Schofiled Pass and Paradise Divide Rd

Post by skypilot »

Anyone have any experience driving the Paradise Divide Road (~1.5 miles long) between Schofield Pass and Yule Pass? I'm headed to the trailhead for Treasury Mountain, which is at Yule Pass. I understand there is a steep hill about 0.6 miles in that will challenge 4-cylinder vehicles. In addition, it sounds like the road might be pretty rough.
I have a Subaru Forester but am cautious with it - don't want to get myself in trouble far from help. Any beta would be appreciated.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Yule Pass via Schofiled Pass and Paradise Divide Rd

Post by supranihilest »

You'll be fine. I drove my 23-foot Sprinter van to Paradise Divide via Schofield Pass without issue, didn't even use 4x4. The road is surprisingly nice!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

No reason to go from Schofield- I'd just go up Slate river road to Paradise divide. It isn't that rough, doubt most vehicles would bother going to 4wd.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

skypilot wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:20 pm I have a Subaru Forester but am cautious with it - don't want to get myself in trouble far from help. Any beta would be appreciated.
I just did the drive last week in Subaru Forester. The road is a bit rough in a few spots, just go slow. It's a great hike!
skypilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skypilot »

Thanks everyone for the beta - it really helped with peace of mind. I made it just fine and found the roads to be surprisingly good.
My only issue was with an aggressive porcupine that (from the sound of it) wanted to tear apart the underside of my car in the middle of the night at the trailhead!
Fortunately, moving my car a little ways solved the problem before any damage was done.