Dimick Gulch Question

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Dimick Gulch Question

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Anyone familiar with Dimick Gulch (between North Crestone Creek and San Isabel Creek)? Found a couple maps that seem to suggest there is an unnamed trail up Dimick gulch that then goes up and over a ridge and connects to the San Isabel trail. Been fooled by this before, only to arrive and not find even a hint of a trail, game trail or otherwise.

Might this trail actually exist?

Dimick Gulch start
Dimick Gulch start
Dimick Gulch1.JPG (189.46 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Dimich Gulch connecting trail to San Isabel trail
Dimich Gulch connecting trail to San Isabel trail
Dimick Gulch2.JPG (161.93 KiB) Viewed 901 times
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Dimick Gulch Question

Post by Boggy B »

It's shown on the MapBuilder topos (see caltopo.com), which sources tracks from OSM, which I think is crowdsourced, possibly from the likes of Strava.
That's mostly conjecture, but if a trail shows up on MapBuilder topos that's generally a good indication that it exists.
It's labeled "San Isabel Trail (FS858)" there, so it's probably documented on a USFS site as well.
Lastly, the trees are pretty thick in there, but starting where they thin out around 10,500' the satellite imagery shows a clear trail.

None of that speaks to maintenance so it might be as good as Spanish Creek.
interloper
14ers: 36 
13ers: 101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by interloper »

The trail up the gulch is there, but only for the first quarter to half mile or so (essentially following an old mining road). It quickly disappears into thick weeds / willows / brush / deadfall, however, and you have to bushwack and gain the ridge much earlier than you'd prefer to get out of it. Ultimately I don't recommend it. Also, the 'trail' leading into the San Isabel basin from the ridge from Dimick Gulch is non-existent at this point.
"May the good lord shine a light on you, warm like the evening sun." - Jagger-Richards, 1972
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Yeah scratch all that, I was looking at the wrong creek! :oops:
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

interloper wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:10 am The trail up the gulch is there, but only for the first quarter to half mile or so (essentially following an old mining road). It quickly disappears into thick weeds / willows / brush / deadfall, however, and you have to bushwack and gain the ridge much earlier than you'd prefer to get out of it. Ultimately I don't recommend it. Also, the 'trail' leading into the San Isabel basin from the ridge from Dimick Gulch is non-existent at this point.
This makes me sad.... But good to know. :)
Boggy B wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:11 am Yeah scratch all that, I was looking at the wrong creek! :oops:
And this makes me laugh :-D
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright