Rampart Range Rd dispersed camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Rampart Range Rd dispersed camping

Post by Cygnus X1 »

I understand the FS implemented dispersed camping only in designated spots along the Rampart Range Rd. From what I can tell by the FS's awesome website is that this is only in the S. Platte Ranger District and not in the Pikes Peak R. D. Is that correct? We are wanting to do some dispersed camping right out of Woodland Park in November. Does the area near WP have generally unrestricted dispersed camping, i.e. find a nice spot a little off the road and camp for a week or two? I've left two messages this week with the PPRD and no one returns my call.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rampart Range Rd dispersed camping

Post by davebobk47 »

Some sections of RRR road near WP have no camping however there are plenty of places that do allow it. When driving from WP to COS just past Bald Mountain (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/3661) there are numerous pull offs on the right hand side. They are popular spots but this time of year shouldn't be 100% full - especially if you arrive on a weekday.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rampart Range Rd dispersed camping

Post by Cygnus X1 »

davebobk47 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 am Some sections of RRR road near WP have no camping however there are plenty of places that do allow it. When driving from WP to COS just past Bald Mountain (https://listsofjohn.com/peak/3661) there are numerous pull offs on the right hand side. They are popular spots but this time of year shouldn't be 100% full - especially if you arrive on a weekday.
Thanks for the tip. :thumbup: