Lake Como Road - Large Rock at 10.1k

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ssgustafson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Lake Como Road - Large Rock at 10.1k

Post by Ssgustafson »

So, I parked at the switchback at 10.1k' in July because of the large rock in the middle of the road as you head up the subsequent hill.... Turns out that that one rock is the only real obstacle between 10.1k and Jaws 1, so ideally, I want to get over it and save the extra mile next summer when I'll be back for my finisher (LB). Wondering if anyone has a picture of that rock and / or got over it this summer (and how you did it!). Thanks!
Scott Gustafson

"Don't attribute to adventurism what can be otherwise explained by poor route finding"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lake Como Road - Large Rock at 10.1k

Post by mtree »

You can't be serious?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
durkan
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 101
Trip Reports (0)

Post by durkan »

Pretty sure this obstacle is no longer one. Went up that road once early Oct 2021 and 3 lifted wranglers and dirt bikes got up no issue.
My experience with my 2017 stock 4runner SR5 only got me to 9800, not a bad walk from there at all.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

mtree wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:13 am You can't be serious?
I know, it's a great road to walk.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:45 am
mtree wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:13 am You can't be serious?
I know, it's a great road to walk.
Beat me to it!
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

durkan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 am Pretty sure this obstacle is no longer one. Went up that road once early Oct 2021 and 3 lifted wranglers and dirt bikes got up no issue.
My experience with my 2017 stock 4runner SR5 only got me to 9800, not a bad walk from there at all.
As of a couple of moths ago, Yes, it's still there.
Ssgustafson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:53 am ....I want to get over it and save the extra mile next summer when I'll be back for my finisher (LB). Wondering if anyone......got over it this summer (and how you did it!). Thanks!
If you are having a hard time getting past that rock you might have a hard time climbing LB, that's considered the 2nd hardest climb amongst the CO 14'ers.
I should be on a mountain
Ssgustafson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ssgustafson »

Thanks, guys. My wife has some severe back probs and wants to be at my finisher - so shaving off that extra mile to jaws 1 would help a lot. I think I can ge5 over that thing if it’s still there, but as I remember it was near the centerline….. I wish I would have paid more attention!
Scott Gustafson

"Don't attribute to adventurism what can be otherwise explained by poor route finding"
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Ssgustafson wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:55 pm Thanks, guys. My wife has some severe back probs and wants to be at my finisher - so shaving off that extra mile to jaws 1 would help a lot. I think I can ge5 over that thing if it’s still there, but as I remember it was near the centerline….. I wish I would have paid more attention!
A mile of road walking vs climbing little bear.... :-k
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Hey Scott,

Those road miles suck, especially on Lake Como road. From my past experience, if you are comfortable handling the "rock obstacle" it should be smooth sailing to Jaws 1. I've spoken with numerous guys who were bummed they parked prior, just to realize it's smooth sailing like you said. For the above-average hiker, LB can be done from the lake in 3 hours or so. I can see why you'd want to eliminate those unnecessary road miles for your disabled wife. I think she'd have a great time hanging out at the lake, while you plan for a 3-5hr RT. Lifted jeeps, (stock control arms/struts, etc, w/ 35's and 2-4" lift) have been known to make it to the lake. I'd recommend linking up with somebody who has done the drive before and would give you a ride. If you're still on the forum next Summer, send me a PM and I'll get you a ride up there. I'll be doing the traverse this Winter, and will let you know how the road stands.

Cheers

P.S it's actually quite an easy hike/climb, granted you've trained and done the research
Ssgustafson
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ssgustafson »

Thanks! Appreciate the help and good luck on the traverse!
Scott Gustafson

two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Skimo95 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:28 pm Lifted jeeps, (stock control arms/struts, etc, w/ 35's and 2-4" lift) have been known to make it to the lake.
curious how to accomplish 2-4" lift with "stock control arms/struts". just shove some hockey pucks in there and call it good? or are you throwing 37s on a dana 30/35?
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

This is an interesting discussion. In September 2014, I drove my modified* Xterra (RIP) up to a parking/camping area at about 37.5624,-105.5492. This is above 10,200', to the right as you're going up the road.

My notes mention that the stretch of road before that was challenging, steep and covered with large loose rocks. This is probably the "hill" mentioned in the OP.

So I'm not sure if this particular large rock at 10.1K is something new (i.e., rolled down from above, or was exposed by erosion or wheel spin). :-k

Even in 2014 it would have taken lots more upgrading than I had, to get a full-size vehicle past Jaws 1 and up to the lake. And it's not something to attempt solo. I'm sure the road is no better now. Perhaps consider a small ATV, such as a side-by-side?

* Mods were a modest 2-3" suspension lift and Schrockworks front bumper/bull bar, skid plates, and rock sliders. Rims were stock with stock-size E-rated BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's.