Winter camping, South Crestone -> Willow Lake bushwhack?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thebugguy
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (4)

Winter camping, South Crestone -> Willow Lake bushwhack?

Post by thebugguy »

Howdy all-

I've got a couple free days right around Christmas and was thinking of doing a few day hikes or a one to two night loop in the Sangres (or nearby). I'll have a decent tent and sleeping bag, traction, and poles, but I'd rather not get myself into a position to need an ice axe or snow shoes- ankle-deep snow is fine, much above that and I'm not prepared for the slog. I have some winter camping experience from back East and have done a decent amount of trips in CO in summer conditions, but I'm a tad concerned I'm going to bite off a little more than I can chew this time around.

Right now I'm looking at starting at the Willow Creek trailhead outside Crestone and a) doing an out-and-back overnight to South Crestone Lake, b) an out-and-back to Willow Lake, or c) a more ambitious loop up to South Crestone Lake, bushwhacking up and over to Willow Lake, then back to the car. In summer conditions the line between the lakes seems imminently doable- in winter, with my experience, it may just be plain stupid.

I know snow conditions can change hourly and I'll just have to see what it's like when I finally get there, but I was wondering: y'all have any thoughts on these hikes or any recommendations for similar hikes with the possibility of either minimal snow or well-traversed snow? I'm up for a little solo winter adventure, but not a grueling, dangerous "wish I hadn'ta done this" experience.

Thanks!
thebugguy
I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food... -W.C. Fields
thebugguy
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Winter camping, South Crestone -> Willow Lake bushwhack?

Post by thebugguy »

Okay-

Ask a stupid question, thankfully don't get a smartass reply. Obviously the trail and camping conditions anywhere in CO will be contingent on recent and predicted weather events. I'm resigned to showing up and just seeing what happens.

That said, does anyone have a quick link to current snow conditions around Crestone? I've seen a couple sites that measure snow in CO, but am interested in where you all get your information from. For the record, I've been watching the Colorado Trail's website: https://coloradotrail.org/trail/guidebooks-and-maps/

Cheers,
thebugguy
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

thebugguy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:07 pm
That said, does anyone have a quick link to current snow conditions around Crestone? I've seen a couple sites that measure snow in CO, but am interested in where you all get your information from. For the record, I've been watching the Colorado Trail's website: https://coloradotrail.org/trail/guidebooks-and-maps/

Cheers,
thebugguy
There's not much snow.
http://www.keno.org/colorado_web_cams/crestone_cams.htm
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

I was about 10 miles north of there yesterday. The only snow present was what fell in the storm Thursday, which was about 2-3 inches. There's really not much there
thebugguy
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thebugguy »

Thanks for the comments- I appreciate them. I'm particularly digging the Crestone cams- thanks!

tbg