Bierstadt & Evans Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gritz3000
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bierstadt & Evans Camping

Post by Gritz3000 »

There are some free dispersed sites off Bruno Gulch rd on Guenella Pass. You have to walk into the woods a little ways, but still really easy.
I love lamp.
Orionxii
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Orionxii »

For the first come first serve tent-sites in the nearby campgrounds to Bierstadt, any insight on how early to arrive to snag one of these the day before attempting to summit? Once secured, are these sites 1 day only stays? I don’t wanna impose on somebody’s fun by waiting on them to leave so any etiquette tips would be appreciated. TIA
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

benjaminfox wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:47 pm Thanks everyone. I will probably go the hotel route near Georgetown. Is there enough parking available, especially if I'm there by 5:30 a.m.?
Thanks!
Renting a car and worrying about parking it seems like a waste. Just hire an Uber to drive you as far up the mountain as you want, and another to take you back down.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If the reservation is a problem, you can climb Evans from the Guanella Pass side. Starts at the Bierstadt trailhead. Its longer, but not hard. The issue is getting through the Willows. That really sucks. Easy to get lost or taken way off course. Its an option, but be prepared for tedious bushwhacking. Wear sleeves and long pants for that section. Having done it in years so not sure what kind of shape the "path" is in.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Orionxii wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:29 am For the first come first serve tent-sites in the nearby campgrounds to Bierstadt, any insight on how early to arrive to snag one of these the day before attempting to summit?
Regardless of how early you arrive it'll most likely be at least an hour too late...

I just simply wouldn't count on those campgrounds at all without a backup plan. And wouldn't count on having reception at Guanella Pass for calling a ride either.

Cheap hotel in Georgetown is my standard solution, or arrive after dark and roll the dice on discreetly sleeping in your vehicle and hoping to not get run off...
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

seano wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:35 am
benjaminfox wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:47 pm Thanks everyone. I will probably go the hotel route near Georgetown. Is there enough parking available, especially if I'm there by 5:30 a.m.?
Thanks!
Renting a car and worrying about parking it seems like a waste. Just hire an Uber to drive you as far up the mountain as you want, and another to take you back down.

Uhhh I wouldn't count on an uber on gnuella pass
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
terribletigzy
14ers: 32 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by terribletigzy »

Slight change of topic, but didn't feel this warranted its own post. What time do you think it is necessary to arrive at the Bierstadt trailhead to secure a parking spot? I am planning to do the sawtooth this weekend coming out of the Springs. My initial plan was to leave around 12 PM on a friday night, but would prefer to leave around 2 AM if possible. Will I be fine with parking arriving at 4 AM (it is a 2 hr drive)?
Last edited by terribletigzy on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live a Fuller Life
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Don't worry about parking on Guanella regardless of time. Its not like the issues at Grays. You can always park on the road. Just adds a little distance. No biggy.

...unless you're one of those hikers who doesn't like to walk.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

...unless you're one of those hikers who doesn't like to walk.
[/quote]

Give it a break, mtree. Believe it or not, some people have good reason for not wanting to hike all the way up Como road and other long approaches. People actually do struggle with knee problems and past injuries. If you're not one of them, be thankful and cut the snide comments.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

RhodoRose wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am Give it a break, mtree. Believe it or not, some people have good reason for not wanting to hike all the way up Como road and other long approaches. People actually do struggle with knee problems and past injuries. If you're not one of them, be thankful and cut the snide comments.
Plus, some of us just have no interest in hiking where we can drive :mrgreen:
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
quinnwolf
14ers: 58  3  2 
13ers: 55 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quinnwolf »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:17 am ...unless you're one of those hikers who doesn't like to walk.
Tha'ts a good one! :lol: