Redloud/sunshine/handies TH critters

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Redloud/sunshine/handies TH critters

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Candace66 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:12 pm
E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:33 am ...I do sleep in my car, so I've figured out the best way to wrap it and get in and out without disturbing the snow fencing around my car (wrap it + rocks to keep it down)...
Do you have any pics or video showing this setup? If so, please share!
Page 5 in this thread I posted pics
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58059&start=48
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I've had a porcupine chew through my wires that went to my fuel pump while camping outside CB.
( Check your insurance to see if it covers off-road towing. Ours did, thankfully. That's pricey. )

Also had something chewing on my car while camping at the Grizzly TH during a Fall Gathering, it woke me up and I scared it away.

I should probably think about protecting the vehicle better.

JQ
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

I had a (probably porcupine, it was below treeline) chew through a wiring harness at the Treasure Creek TH deep in the South San Juans. The car drove fine, but every warning light came on, I didn't have traction control, cruise control, or ABS. It was a week in the shop and $1,000 to get it repaired. Point being, it happens, it sucks, and it's not just at the popular trailheads. But I have only had issues in the San Juans...
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:36 am Page 5 in this thread I posted pics
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58059&start=48
Okay, I replied directly to that post:

viewtopic.php?p=765708#p765708
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trekingwithhim »

Are the marmots still a concern this late in the season? Heading up this week, and wondering if I need to pack tarps or snow fence. Thanks.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

trekingwithhim wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:15 pm Are the marmots still a concern this late in the season? Heading up this week, and wondering if I need to pack tarps or snow fence. Thanks.
I can't give you a definitive answer, but I camped there in my truck tent on Thursday night, July 28th, and hiked Handies via the Grizzly Gulch trail the next day and I had no issues. There were a couple of girls camping and someone in another car camping there as well on the same night and I heard no complaints from them either. Having said that, I am not sure that the time of the summer season is relevant to whether they do this or not.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
evanb123
14ers: 51  2  1 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by evanb123 »

I actually spent the night in my truck there on thursday and I had to wake up three times to scare away whatever it was that was scratching around underneath my truck. No damage. I was parked by myself over by the bathrooms. There were people tent camping around the parking lot and I dont think they had any problems with people nearby in tents all night.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Random question on the plastic fencing - would one fence fit around a jeep or four runner? Or do you need two fences?