Redloud/sunshine/handies TH critters

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Redloud/sunshine/handies TH critters

Post by schumi248 »

Is there still a problem with critters at the trailhead, and if so, what are some deterrents??
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Redloud/sunshine/handies TH critters

Post by Alpine Guy »

I camped there 2 nights last September and had no problems. I don't even recall seeing any varmints at the trailhead.
Roll No Rocks
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I’ve had a marmot ride in my undercarriage from American Basin to Nellie Creek. That being said, I don’t think it’s an issue that requires “fencing”.
Ski Roy Jenkins
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ski Roy Jenkins »

Personally, we always assume there are critters of all shapes and sizes roaming around when we camp. Having bear canisters, or "smell proof" containers to keep all of your food/trash in is nice, and prevents the smaller ones from chewing on backpacks (won't stop them from chewing on your salty backpack straps or hiking poles). Another strategy is the "bearmuda triangle" --> https://i.redd.it/337mr4574zf21.jpg. If you can set up your campsite something like this, it usually helps. Keeping backpacks and poles off of the ground in a camp chair or hanging from a line is always a good strategy. Happy camping!
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Yup. The San Juans and Elks in particular have a lot of issues with Marmots and Porcupines. This was just a week or two ago: https://www.9news.com/article/life/styl ... 1701da0258

The best way to prevent critter damage is to wrap your car in some fencing to keep them out from under. I use a heavy-duty plastic snow fencing stuff. Works quite well. Don't bother with some of the other stuff folks will say. Coyote urine and Mothballs don't work and are a great way to piss off your neighbors with the smell.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

RyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 am Yup. The San Juans and Elks in particular have a lot of issues with Marmots and Porcupines. This was just a week or two ago: https://www.9news.com/article/life/styl ... 1701da0258

The best way to prevent critter damage is to wrap your car in some fencing to keep them out from under. I use a heavy-duty plastic snow fencing stuff. Works quite well. Don't bother with some of the other stuff folks will say. Coyote urine and Mothballs don't work and are a great way to piss off your neighbors with the smell.
This. To me it's just not worth it, so at those specific trailheads I will wrap my car. The last few times I've been the only one, but it's worth it to me. I do sleep in my car, so I've figured out the best way to wrap it and get in and out without disturbing the snow fencing around my car (wrap it + rocks to keep it down). I did come across someone at that trailhead who had a critter ruin their AC line a few weeks prior, but they still didn't wrap their car after that. I guess it depends on your comfort level too.
derekpetrie
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Was just at the American basin TH Friday. Only one there, came back to a marmot with its head buried in the chassis of my F-150. No damage, but there were no shortage of marmots around.
3A7219B8-9DDB-4931-812F-5EF65F00013A.jpeg
3A7219B8-9DDB-4931-812F-5EF65F00013A.jpeg (497.95 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
487E23FC-DB90-4599-89A4-C09A7335B2A7.jpeg
487E23FC-DB90-4599-89A4-C09A7335B2A7.jpeg (526.79 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
schumi248
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schumi248 »

RyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 am Yup. The San Juans and Elks in particular have a lot of issues with Marmots and Porcupines. This was just a week or two ago: https://www.9news.com/article/life/styl ... 1701da0258

Does anyone have a picture of an example of how to do this??
derekpetrie
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/marmots.htm

viewtopic.php?p=712915

I’ll be investing in some snow fencing. Like the tarp idea but don’t want to mess with that amount of material for a full size pickup.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

TH critters

Post by two lunches »

i'm a small person with a big vehicle (which i often sleep in at trailheads) so tarping/fencing is not an ideal solution for me.

i have used a combination of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YB ... UTF8&psc=1
and these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2 ... UTF8&psc=1
for several years without issue- i hang the sachets at front and back of the vehicle, and keep the ultrasonic device on overnight. the device is VERY sensitive, but thankfully i can't hear it inside the cab.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
trekingwithhim
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trekingwithhim »

OK, so I have to admit as I first read these posts, I was picturing some freshman initiation prank to see which gullible person would wrap their car in snow fence. But the NPS link convinced me. I would have never thought of that. Guess I have some brainstorming and gathering to do. Wow!
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

E_A_Marcus_949 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:33 am ...I do sleep in my car, so I've figured out the best way to wrap it and get in and out without disturbing the snow fencing around my car (wrap it + rocks to keep it down)...
Do you have any pics or video showing this setup? If so, please share!