Texas Creek Road/Trailhead

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Texas Creek Road/Trailhead

Post by TravelingMatt »

This is in the Sawatch in the Taylor Park Reservoir area. How does the road go, is it Rav4able with skill? Roach's 13ers (it can be used to access the Apostles from the south) says the last 2½ miles are 4wd, but I don't see a lot of recent information about it, and searching on "Texas" gets a lot of hits I don't want.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Texas Creek Road/Trailhead

Post by Flyingfish »

Last time I was up there it was pretty tame up to around 9800 then the rockiness intensifies quite a bit. Probably within a mile and half of the TH is where 4x4 and some clearance is needed. It has been a year or so since I was last up there though.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

TravelingMatt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:54 pm Roach's 13ers (it can be used to access the Apostles from the south)
Interesting you mention this. I was looking/wondering about the S ridge of W Apostle from this approach. I don't have Roachs' book with me, but does it mention that?
I've also heard that Magdalen goes well from this trailhead. I think hikerguy mentioned it on here before.
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

d_baker wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:36 pm Interesting you mention this. I was looking/wondering about the S ridge of W Apostle from this approach. I don't have Roachs' book with me, but does it mention that?
Yes, and he claims it is easier than the standard route up the northeast ridge, although still Class 3.

I was in fact looking to do Magdalene and Pear from this TH. Wouldn't require the reclimb that starting at Cottonwood pass does, would be a bit shorter too if I could get all the way to the end. My car is no go up to Clohesy Lake.
Last edited by TravelingMatt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

I was up there a few weeks ago and hit Magdalene. As Graham mentioned the last few miles are the difficulty of the road. There are 2 or 3 spots with some larger rocks. Without taking a shovel and doing some road work I don't think a Rav 4 would make it. I am very interest in the route for Ice Mtn up Waterloo Gulch. On the old sign for the Waterloo Gulch trail someone wrote with a sharpie "Ice Mtn underrated climb".

Nick
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I hiked Magdalene from there in Sept 2020. Before that, in June 2020, I tried in my AWD Santa Fe with AT tires and it was a no go. I went back with my 4WD truck and was able to make it no problem. IMO, this trailhead requires a truck, jeep or 4-runner type vehicle. I'm sure someone as gotten their Subaru there before, but there are some areas that could tear up an AWD vehicle even though it's a flat road for the most part.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

nickm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:54 pm On the old sign for the Waterloo Gulch trail someone wrote with a sharpie "Ice Mtn underrated climb".
waterloo_gulch.jpg
waterloo_gulch.jpg (233.42 KiB) Viewed 406 times
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

That is the one! Any beta on the route?
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

This matters because I'd prefer to make a single trip to bag these two peaks. With the added distance from road walking I'd pack in and do an overnight though. At which point it would be less driving and hiking to park at Rockdale and pack into Clohesy Lake.

Thanks for talking me out of it :wink: