Might I take 2wd to Grays Peak?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Luisaorte07
Trip Reports (0)

Might I take 2wd to Grays Peak?

Post by Luisaorte07 »

Hi there! I'm planning to go this upcoming Saturday to Grays Peak but I have a Kia Sportage, front wheels drive, do you think I can make it to the trailhead? Or would I need a high clearance car for it? TIA
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Might I take 2wd to Grays Peak?

Post by daway8 »

Depends on how much of the bottom of your car you want to leave along the road - I personally would not go up there in that car - just park at the 2WD lot and hike.

But if you're a good enough driver who knows how to negotiate mountain roads then you might be just fine.

All depends on how good a driver you are and how much risk you want to take with your vehicle.

When in doubt, walk in and out.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

In the summer, the main concern isn't traction, it's just clearance and tires. Any vehicle with 10+ in clearance and A/T tires can easily get through it. Having said that, most vehicles I see up G&T and Kite Lake do not have the needed clearance and tires. Coincidentally, I also see a lot of people going up G&T and Decalibro on gym shoes.
mnsebourn
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mnsebourn »

I don’t think there is any rhyme or reason to what gets to what TH.

Maybe I’m just too big of a chicken or don’t care to leave parts of my vehicle that I work hard to pay for on CO mountainsides, but I’ve turned my Tundra around on roads that some folks will take a CRV up.

All depends on how good or crazy you are or how much you value you the well being of your vehicle, I guess.

That said, I got my old 2WD Tundra up that road a few years back. But I wouldn’t take anything with less clearance up there.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

I used to own a 2004 Pontiac grand am. It made it to the g & t trailhead just fine. I'm not sure what the road is like this year. I think I drove to north half-moon trailhead as well. Ymmv, if your not comfortable with it, bring a bike or hike it.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I drove my 1988 Chevy celebrity to the grays trailhead in 1999. That’s gotta be some kind of record
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

If I recall, the Sportage has less clearance than a standard mid-size SUV, so I would not risk it. I've been rocking a 7.3" clearance in current and prior SUV, and that's the MINIMUM I feel comfortable with on that road - and only because I have decent off-roading experience, so I can navigate tricky areas. So, if I were you, I wouldn't risk it. Park at the I-70 lot and start hiking but also stick out your thumb. A lot of us are more than willing to pick up hikers with less-than-capable vehicles. :-)
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:50 am I drove my 1988 Chevy celebrity to the grays trailhead in 1999. That’s gotta be some kind of record
Specifically, a Celebrity still being on the road after 11 years.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

It’s a fantastic road walk, I’ve done it 10 or so times, always from I70.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

MaryinColorado wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:51 am Park at the I-70 lot and start hiking but also stick out your thumb. A lot of us are more than willing to pick up hikers with less-than-capable vehicles. :-)
+1
I’ve both given and gotten rides up and down that road.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

just took a rav4 to the top. you'll be fine.
HokieTom
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

No problem for my RAV4, 3 weeks ago...............

Post by HokieTom »

Make sure you get there early though. The weekend parking will be packed by 6.