Camping near Sneffels, Wetterhorn, and Uncompahgre

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dlloydjoneskc
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Camping near Sneffels, Wetterhorn, and Uncompahgre

Post by dlloydjoneskc »

Planning on heading out to those mountains in a few weeks. Quick question: Is there anywhere near the trailheads to throw up a tent. Prefer not to stay at "established" campgrounds, but rather camp near the trailhead. Also for Uncompahgre, I am not planning on trying to go up Nellie Creek, but rather park at the 2wd place, hike up Nellie Creek Road and camp near the 4wd trailhead and then hit the peak in the AM. Is this possible? Any advice/help would be appreciated
Drew33
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camping near Sneffels, Wetterhorn, and Uncompahgre

Post by Drew33 »

I’ve stayed in YBB a few times. There’s an unestablished camping spot about a mile down the 4WD road from the parking lot/trailhead with the single bathroom. There’s maybe 4-5 accessible camping spots. Bring bug spray.
peterkfes
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peterkfes »

Parking at the 2wd junction with Nellie Creek worked for me a few years ago. I slept in the car and had an excellent experience from that point for a one day round trip of Uncompahgre. That mountain's profile remains my favorite so far. Last year I slept at the 2wd Matterhorn Creek junction, again in my car, for Wetterhorn. There was plenty of space in the area for a tent although I do weekdays when trailheads are more accessible. Enjoy your trips.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Drew33 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:19 pm I’ve stayed in YBB a few times. There’s an unestablished camping spot about a mile down the 4WD road from the parking lot/trailhead with the single bathroom. There’s maybe 4-5 accessible camping spots. Bring bug spray.
Just make sure you are beyond smelling distance of the outhouse at the TH :lol:
Century Bound, eventually.
sarahw
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sarahw »

There are several nice camp spots a few hundred feet after the 4WD turnoff to Uncompahgre, right next to Nellie Creek. It's been awhile since I was there, but I *think* a passenger car could go that first little bit to the campsite? If not, it's not far to carry your stuff to it. Have fun!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

There are a few spots along the road / creek before and after the turn for the Unc TH.

Not sure a 2wd vehicle could make it up the road to the Wett TH. Subaru / AWD can make it to the turn off, but the road is rough, pot holes, etc.
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maff »

Was hoping to do Wetterhorn + Unc by backpacking in from the lower Matterhorn Creek TH. Sounds like my Hyundai Elantra might have a hard time even getting there. Maybe the answer is to park at the turnoff onto North Henson Road and just do those extra two miles on foot? Since I'm backpacking, I'll be able to at least break that mileage up from summit days.