Longs Peak Trailhead parking during the week?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jeffmpls
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (2)

Longs Peak Trailhead parking during the week?

Post by jeffmpls »

Has anyone climbed Longs (from the Longs Peak Trailhead) in the past few weeks? I’m trying to gauge how early to arrive for parking during the week; we’re planning to climb on Wednesday the 20th.

Jeff
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Longs Peak Trailhead parking during the week?

Post by bigredmachine »

2am
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

On Wednesday 6/22 there were still a few spots in the parking lot at 8 am. However the Keyhole route was still listed as technical then, so most people were going to Chasm Lk or Estes Cone. Once the Keyhole route is non-technical, the lot will fill by 2 am or earlier.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Depends how long it's going to take you, I'd be more worried about that than parking in the upper lot. A friend and I arrived at 5a a few weeks ago for the Keyhole route, parked about 1/4mi down the road (just make sure you're off the pavement and don't park like an A-hole). Lot was probably full by 3-4a though. We were back at the TH by 1130 before storms came in, most will probably want to leave earlier than we did.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Get there the night before and sleep in your car.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
nmjameswilson
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:47 am Get there the night before and sleep in your car.
Is that allowed? If so that will be my plan.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

nmjameswilson wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:33 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:47 am Get there the night before and sleep in your car.
It's allowed if you don't get caught.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
jeffmpls
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffmpls »

Thank you everyone, we’ll go with 2:00 am. And I forgot to mention, there’s no parking on the road Monday-Friday. I don’t know why, when you can park on the road weekend days.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Mtnman200 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm
I've managed to do it twice without issue. With so many climbers starting very early I don't think they police it.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:47 pm

I've managed to do it twice without issue. With so many climbers starting very early I don't think they police it.
Not true, they occasionally go around and check cars for people camping out. You might get away with it, or you might get woken up at midnight and forced to drive somewhere else.
I hadn't heard about the no parking on the road weekdays, but then again I'm only up on Longs on the weekends (stupid work).

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:47 pm

Being stealth is the key. If you are in a rooftop tent you are not going to get away with it. If you are in an SUV that looks like no one is in it, then you have a much better chance of getting away with it. Good luck.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

jeffmpls wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:28 pm Thank you everyone, we’ll go with 2:00 am. And I forgot to mention, there’s no parking on the road Monday-Friday. I don’t know why, when you can park on the road weekend days.
I don't think that's true, or at least it is not enforced. I was there Fri 7/08 and there were cars parked along the road for a mile down when I got back to the TH.
I parked 100' outside of the main lot (above the CG turnoff) at 4:40am. Some cars got warnings for parking in clearly marked no parking areas, but not the
100's of vehicles down the road.

I once got a $50 ticket for leaving my car at the TH overnight - not sleeping in it, just left it to do a point-to-point route. But that was many years ago.