Car clearance on Huron Peak Northwest sloaps

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
blessed13
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Car clearance on Huron Peak Northwest sloaps

Post by blessed13 »

Going to hike Huron Peak via the Northwest slopes, do you think I will have any issues getting up that road with a Subaru Ascent? :-k
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Car clearance on Huron Peak Northwest sloaps

Post by justiner »

I think this was asked before, but you'll easily get to just past Winfield, to the start of the 4WD track. After that, it's a bit iffy, as there's a big rut in the road since a month ago (the last time I past it) that would swallow up a large pit bull. Easy road hiking to the trailhead if you can't, just start up 1/2 or so earlier.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

He’s not driving a pit bull. :-D

Eric?
cschmidt1023
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cschmidt1023 »

Tuning in to this one, will be attempting to get up as high as possible in a Toyota Matrix. Not too worried about scraping it up and am fairly good at getting up roads above this cars pay grade. Most of the reports say "saw Subaru's at the TH" and Outback's have pretty long wheelbases and marginal angles, albeit a bit more clearance.
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

cschmidt1023 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:56 pm Tuning in to this one, will be attempting to get up as high as possible in a Toyota Matrix. Not too worried about scraping it up and am fairly good at getting up roads above this cars pay grade. Most of the reports say "saw Subaru's at the TH" and Outback's have pretty long wheelbases and marginal angles, albeit a bit more clearance.
Hiked it recently. You can get a matrix to the lower 2wd so the route becomes 10-11 miles rt.

Don't take it any farther though. There is one section that is really bad and clearance is necessary.
ARY
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ARY »

Been there a few weeks ago. The upper TH 4WD road has 3-4 spots where high clearance is needed. However all of them have plenty of rock supply on a side of the road that can be simply drop into holes to fill-in if there is enough men power in the cabin. There is one muddy depression with no rocks around (approx 2/3 of the way up) but if you can throw in a few wood boards in a trunk you may go over. The 4WD road add approximately 4 miles to the RT. Fighting it with not so capable vehicle however may add some fun and stress.
ARY (Photo, video);
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Just reporting back here. Did not attempt to get my rental Mitsubishi Outlander 2015 beyond the 2wd point. I would have struggled with my outback there were maybe 3 spots that really required a higher clearance. Added about 4 miles RT. which led to not being a summit day.
tuckerhusker
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tuckerhusker »

Check out the lulu gulch on the way up and make a loop instead of going to the 4wd trailhead. Lots of options. Makes for a longer day, but you spend a lot of time at elevation. The trail down from Huron to the 4wd lot is boring in comparison.