Car camping near "easier" 14er THs

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wildlifer78
Trip Reports (0)

Car camping near "easier" 14er THs

Post by wildlifer78 »

Looking to bring a friend to CO for her first 14er. In addition to hiking an "easy" 14er, I'm looking for the better THs to car camp at? Any suggestions, advice, recommendations? Prefer NOT doing Elbert or Quandary only because I've already hiked those ones and would like a new one for myself as well. Suggestions on Sherman?? I could even do Massive I suppose. Thanks in advance!
Amanda
The world is big and time is short- get out and see!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Car camping near "easier" 14er THs

Post by climbingcue »

Trailhead for Redcloud, Sunshine and Handies is a great car camping spot.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

best car camping (IMO)
  • Massive
  • Columbia & Harvard (Horn Fork Basin is also really well-suited to a backpacking trip)
  • Anything off CR 390: Huron, Missouri, Belford/Oxford, La Plata SW Ridge (I haven't done standard so I'm not sure about that one). and although you didn't ask about 13ers, Hope & Quail from Sheep Gulch is off 390 as well
  • Yale- there are spots off Cottonwood Pass to camp by either TH
  • Shavano & Tabeguache
  • Handies- either TH
  • and as Bill mentioned above - Redcloud & Sunshine
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

two lunches wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:20 pm best car camping (IMO)
  • Massive
  • Columbia & Harvard (Horn Fork Basin is also really well-suited to a backpacking trip)
  • Anything off CR 390: Huron, Missouri, Belford/Oxford, La Plata SW Ridge (I haven't done standard so I'm not sure about that one). and although you didn't ask about 13ers, Hope & Quail from Sheep Gulch is off 390 as well
  • Yale- there are spots off Cottonwood Pass to camp by either TH
  • Shavano & Tabeguache
  • Handies- either TH
  • and as Bill mentioned above - Redcloud & Sunshine
There are plenty of campsites near the La Plata SW ridge trailhead.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

My idea of car camping is you don't have to strap on a pack and don't have to hike more than 100 yards or so from the car. You sleep in a tent and probably cook over a fire of some sort. If that's also YOUR idea than your options for good locations are limited. If you just want to sleep in your car, doesn't really matter where you park.

I don't recall alot of decent car camping areas for Redcloud and Sunshine. Not close to the trailhead anyway. Maybe you can find a spot in the woods. Same with Missouri, Oxford, Belford, and Yale. Missouri as easy is questionable. Oxford via Belford definitely NOT.
Massive from the SW slopes trail might have something. Not a real easy trek though. The standard route is loooong.
Handies is a great place if you have the vehicle to reach it.
There is camping several miles away from Sherman, but not sure if you have to make a reservation.
If you have the vehicle, you can go pretty far up the road for Huron.
Uncompahgre is excellent if you have clearance, 4x4, and a little skill or nerve! Same with Antero (won't need the skill or nerve part).

I wouldn't consider Harvard or Columbia great, but there are probably some spots. Otherwise, you have to backpack in pretty far. I also wouldn't consider them "easy" for a 1st timer. Technically they're ok, but they're pretty long. La Plata might fit the bill via the NW ridge, but you'd have to hike in a bit first. The hike is probably less than 10 miles, but not a slam dunk.

San Luis also has great camping at the trailhead, but its a long day. Easy, but 13 miles or something.

There's also the option of car camping and driving a short distance to the actual trailhead. That opens things up quite a bit. Easy and trailhead car camping is limited for 14ers.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

mtree wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:17 pm There's also the option of car camping and driving a short distance to the actual trailhead. That opens things up quite a bit. Easy and trailhead car camping is limited for 14ers.
yes, i'm sorry- maybe i should have clarified. most of my suggestions were given under the assumption that you would be driving 5 miles or less to the trailhead from a good camping spot. i didn't translate "easier" 14ers to mean "easy" or "easiest," merely "non-technical ascents"

apologies, OP
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

Post by boleslav »

" don't recall alot of decent car camping areas for Redcloud and Sunshine" - You can car camp right at the trailhead, there is a medium size parking lot where many people just sleep in the car.
Or if you follow the road for few hundred yards, there are few spots on couple spots along the raods.
To get to this TH you need at least Subaru Outback/Forester with clearance and slower driving.
wildlifer78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wildlifer78 »

Thank you ALL, for your awesome replies. I apologize for being a little vague- it was my first post in the forum. By "car camping' I mean being able to drive relatively close to a TH and pitching my 2 person backpacking tent close by and being able to quickly pack back up and throw everything into the car before the hike. I would like to be closer to a TH rather than have to drive 1-2 hours from a hotel to get there (I'm flying in from out of town). We are only doing 2 nights, both nights being in 2 different places. We will wing food- not bringing my backpacking stove. Will stop on way from the airport after picking up our subaru outback, to get essentials like water, fruit, etc.
The world is big and time is short- get out and see!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The Colorado forests are replete with established campgrounds too. Some are near 14er trailheads. The tradeoff is they generally require advance registrations and cost money. Friday/Saturdays are usually sold out. And it ties you to a fixed date. And generally only from late June to early September. On the other hand you have a guaranteed spot with basic facilities.

Mt. Evans: Echo Lake
Decalibron: Kite Lake
Quandary: Prospector
Bierstadt: Guanella Pass
Yale and Princeton: Collegiate Peaks
Pikes Peak: Mueller State Park
Elbert, Massive: Halfmoon, Turquoise Lake