Best Bug free options for next weekend?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boesman
Trip Reports (0)

Best Bug free options for next weekend?

Post by Boesman »

I am taking a bunch of international people into the mountains from 1-5 Aug. We are attempting the summit on Mount of the Holy Cross on the Tuesday, and then have the rest of the week available.

Where would be the best place to camp for three nights at this time of year? Specifically, where will we not be sucked dry by mosquitoes? Willing to drive a couple of hours if necessary.

Would also love to get an update on how bad the bugs actually are at the moment. Two weekends ago Eagles Nest wilderness was pretty much unmanageable.

Thanks in advance!
ReginaThomas
14ers: 45 
13ers: 99 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Best Bug free options for next weekend?

Post by ReginaThomas »

With all the rains the bugs have been really bad everywhere. My best suggestion would be lots of bug spray and to expect the bugs. I would avoid the San Juans and Sangres. We’re in Silverton and we’re getting eaten alive down here.
Boesman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Boesman »

Ah man - that's not good.
Any recommendations at all? Like I said - willing to drive a few hours from Leadville (hopefully less than 4 hours).
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Bugs were horrible around the Alpine Loop, not so bad up around the Imogene Pass/Yankee Boy area and along the Lime Creek road towards Durango.

Never seen it so bad, bring back the wildfires to wipe them out IMO.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

XterraRob wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:03 pm Bugs were horrible around the Alpine Loop, not so bad up around the Imogene Pass/Yankee Boy area and along the Lime Creek road towards Durango.

Never seen it so bad, bring back the wildfires to wipe them out IMO.
Let’s limit those wildfires to only Arizona, please.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Don't have a suggestion on where to go but I definitely recommend you bring Thermacells. Fire them up when you're sitting around in camp. They're about $30-40 each but well worth it. Advertised to protect a 15 foot area and in my experience that sounds about right when there's no breeze. Even though they take up more room in the pack, I'd recommend the MR300 or MR450 over the backpacker due to poor ratings on the backpacker's ignition system. I use my MR style one all the time and they really do work. With a larger group being spread out you'll want more than one.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

No mosquitoes down here on the Front Range - and it's well within 4 hours of HC. Dunno about camping reservations, though...
longPosition
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by longPosition »

Camped and hiked in San Juans last week (Lake City area). Did not notice hardly any bugs. Used normal bug spray while hiking. But than I am an old grumpy retiree. Not the tastest blood, I am sure.
Andrew Russell
14ers: 54 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew Russell »

longPosition wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:36 pm Camped and hiked in San Juans last week (Lake City area). Did not notice hardly any bugs. Used normal bug spray while hiking. But than I am an old grumpy retiree. Not the tastest blood, I am sure.
They found me delicious yesterday in the Cimarrons
@andysoutdooradventures
Boesman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Boesman »

Oh man - this thread is making me nervous!

What about if we drive further? Would Moab have less mosquitoes?
Boesman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Boesman »

Or Grand Junction area?
maff
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maff »

I'm camped on the road in between Elbert and Massive and there are very few bugs. The occasional fly or mosquito but totally manageable. I imagine my site not being close to the creek helps. They were worse up at Winfield earlier this week but not like apocalyptic.