more info about the halfmoon creek for french/casco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EndWillows
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

more info about the halfmoon creek for french/casco

Post by EndWillows »

Hoping to hit the French-Casco traverse this weekend just need some more beta that I am struggling to find anywhere.

About how deep is the first creek crossing past the lower trailhead? I have an Xterra with an aftermarket intake and the water can not be too high, if I get any water into the intake I would risk hydrolocking the engine.

Is there any camping at the upper 4wd road around 10,800, just before the 2nd creek crossing?

Any other related beta and tips would be greatly appreciated.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: more info about the halfmoon creek for french/casco

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It should only be about 12-16” deep. But no worries, if you think it’s too deep, just camp along the road and park before the crossing. Then you’d just have to get across on foot.

Not a big deal since driving across doesn’t get you up that far before you’ll reach the severe crossing.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Danger_D
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 100 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Danger_D »

The drivable road after the creek crossing, like Bill said, isn't that long. You can probably make it through the creek (I made it in my RAV4 this time of year) but ultimately I don't think its much easier or faster than hiking from the creek itself. As far as camping there is a ton of dispersed camping on the main road. I don't remember about specifically right near the creek crossing, but you should be able to find something
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 320 24 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

My recommendation is drive across half moon creek to avoid getting your feet wet, then walk from there. There’s enough room for 1.5 cars to park just before the severe creek crossing, and the road up to that point isn’t terribly fun to drive either. Absolutely no room for passing if remember correctly.

For clarification, the 2nd crossing itself isn’t that severe, but the obstacles immediately after are crazy huge, lake como road level stuff. After that it’s basically a 2WD dirt road up to the Iron Mike mine.
hsiegel3
14ers: 24 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hsiegel3 »

We did French on Monday (and had it all to ourselves). We parked (a Honda Pilot) before the crossing near some excellent camping spots. Getting across the creek with boots dry was easy too.