Difficulty of Nellie Road 2022

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EndWillows
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Difficulty of Nellie Road 2022

Post by EndWillows »

This trailhead seems to vary heavily throughout the years.
Earlier this year somebody was able to get a sedan up to the upper trailhead
But then last year, condition reports stated that they struggled in 4x4 vehicles.
We are looking to attempt the upper road in a 2021 Forester: just looking for some second opinions. Don’t know what to think truly, as there are so many differing opinions. Any beta would be greatly appreciated :)
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Difficulty of Nellie Road 2022

Post by nyker »

This is sort of like asking how hard and exposed is xxx class 3 route....some will say they crossed it in flip flops with a guitar on their back while others roped up.

So it depends on how much you care for your vehicle and how good a driver you are at navigating/driving off road in your vehicle.
E_A_Marcus_949
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I've taken my Forester to a lot of places and done decently with it (including S. Colony with no issues); I would not take it up Nellie. I went up last Sep/Oct with my friend who drove his stock Tacoma up, and it went well (you probably saw his TH update from that time period - it has a good description of the road). I'm not sure how the sedan made it... seems like an anomaly.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

I walked the road for about 2.5 miles from the bottom the first Monday in June of this year. I parked my X-Trek at the bottom of the road (2WD TH). My objective was nearby Crystal Peak where the turn off was 2.5 miles from the 2WD TH. At about 2 miles in there was a spot where the creek right went over the road. I don't know if that is seasonal or not, then it was likely driven by snow melt, would the monsoon rains keep it high through August ? I wouldn't take my XTrek, which has decent clearance, but I am pretty conservative about such things. Plus the road walk is very nice. But I get that makes Uncompahgre a VERY long day, which was the reason I opted for Crystal that day. I don't recall what options there were to park along the road before the creek crossing. When I do go for Uncompahgre down the road, my plan at least for today is to park at the 2WD TH.
Best Regards
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

I was up there almost two years ago in a Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk and I felt challenged. I cannot imagine how a sedan made it up there with such low ground clearance. Certainly would be an interesting video to watch!
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
brousseau
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brousseau »

Regarding trailhead reports this year, and not counting the sedan, there are a number of Toyotas, at least one Jeep, and a mention of a Subaru Crosstrek. The Crosstrek has the same ground clearance your Forrester has. All other vehicles probably have an additional inch unless lifted. The tires you are running with will be important on the road as you want something with a little protection for the sidewalls. If you don't have AT tires, be very careful with your line. If you have some off-road skills and a spotter, you should be able to make it to the top.

2 years ago, I drove it in my stock 4Runner with AT tires. I needed a second go getting out of one of the streambeds, but don't recall scraping at all.
Instagram: @jbparker_co
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Clearance is key. 4WD could be critical if rain muddles the road. One creek crossing, but its probably not deep in August. A very sharp hairpin to right after crossing. Plan ahead of time. You might need a spotter to make sure oncoming car isn't on its way. Many spots are only 1 vehicle wide. Many "berms" in road so you better know how to navigate or you'll scrape the undercarriage. I watched a big SUV scrape every one and was leaking fluid at the end. If you're good behind the wheel the Forester should be able to handle. I can't imagine a sedan making it unless it was highly lifted or driver was on shrooms. Its way worse than Colony Lakes road.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Go for it! What could go wrong except breaking something essential and having to walk to Lake City?!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Just turn around if you're unsure.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Or you could *gasp* hike the mountain
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

nyker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:56 pm This is sort of like asking how hard and exposed is xxx class 3 route....some will say they crossed it in flip flops with a guitar on their back while others roped up.

So it depends on how much you care for your vehicle and how good a driver you are at navigating/driving off road in your vehicle.
I was just up there a week and a half ago. As nyker stated, one's opinion on this road varies based on the individual. However, if you are in a four wheel drive vehicle with decent ground clearance, patiently take your time, pick the right line, and feather your foot feed properly over some rocks you should be able to do this road without damaging your vehicle. It was raining every day while I was there so the road was muddy. Below is the link to my trailhead report.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/threport.php?recnum=9197

As an edit, I should have mentioned that wheelbase length is important too. My Tacoma has an access cab with a six foot bed. If I had a double cab I would want a short bed for this road, myself. Others might think otherwise.
Last edited by Ed_Groves on Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

Keep in mind that clearance on a 4x4 vehicle is usually to the bottom of the rear diff, generally with several inches more clearance everywhere else. So you can much easier plan a line where you thread that one "low" spot through rocks, etc. Versus SUVs/crossovers where the clearance listed is basically the entire undercarriage of the vehicle. Nellie Creek is one of those roads where I feel the distinction is important. It's been several years since I was on that road, but the crux doesn't seem to have changed much: that first major stream crossing with the hard left switchback right after and the giant rock in the middle of the exit. I can believe a good driver can get an Outback/Forester up that, but I think the risk exceeds the reward here. FWIW, when we did it several years ago, the 20-year-old Ford Ranger we drove in was by far the least capable vehicle at the upper TH.

A year or two back I seem to recall a sedan getting stuck/stranded in the middle of the creek crossing and blocking the road until it got towed out.

I for one don't believe the conditions claim that a standard sedan made the TH recently... (edit: went back and looked, the sedan listed said it has 7.9" of clearance which is close to most crossovers, not really a sedan. I still wouldn't take my Volvo with higher clearance up that road...)