Handies Peak with no 4WD - American Basin Camping?

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lmuzal
Trip Reports (0)

Handies Peak with no 4WD - American Basin Camping?

Post by Lmuzal »

We are planning on doing Handies peak in mid/late August. We don't have a 4wd vehicle and are planning on taking the American Basin Trailhead. How far can we drive without 4wd before we need to hike to the trailhead? And is there available Hammock camping along the road or near the trailhead?
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Handies Peak with no 4WD - American Basin Camping?

Post by XterraRob »

No trees to hammock from in American Basin.

You'll need to provide your vehicle make and model for anyone to give you a mild estimate.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

I was just out hiking in the American Basin last weekend. My stock Tacoma had no issue getting to the Handies trailhead. You don't have 4WD but do you have clearance? I was surprised to see a Subaru Crosstrek at the Redcloud/Sunshine standard trailhead when I drove by. If you drive something with a bit of ground clearance, I think you could potentially and very carefully get within a mile of the Handies standard TH without 4WD but I don't recommend it and don't think it's worth getting stuck out there and begging a side-by-side or jeep to pull you out of a stuck situation... There's a creek crossing that's about 6 inches deep so my only recommendation would be to not stop and keep your momentum moving through that.

An alternative is that you could try hiking Handies via the East Slopes which starts by the Redcloud/Sunshine TH.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

A couple of years ago I got a awd/7.2" clearance CRV to American basin without issue. if it hasn't greatly deteriorated, it's doable. It does depend on your vehicle and your driving skill. Otherwise, you'd probably stop at the turnoff for American, which adds like a mile each way, so not horrible
Azheng418
14ers: 33  2 
13ers: 24 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Azheng418 »

There aren't many trees to hammock off of, but nearly any vehicle should be able to make it. Just take your time, I have seen Honda Odysessys up there. I made it up there with a AWD Sedan with no issues.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

If you are worried about your vehicle making it to AB, why not ascend Handies via Grizzly Gulch and descend via American Basin? This is how me and my kids did it and we loved it. It was my daughters first 14er at 10 years old and she loved it and all it adds is about two extra miles of road hiking back to the TH. You drive right past the GG trailhead on your way to AB anyways, plus the view of Handies is exponentially better during the GG ascent, but descending AB allows you to still enjoy all that the basin has to offer. There are better camping options at GG too. The road hiking around Whitecross Mountain is scenic and we had many people offer us rides back to Grizzly Gulch, but we politely declined since we were enjoying the San Juan beauty around us.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
TommyF
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TommyF »

Hiked Handies this past Saturday. The upper parking lot had a handful of 2 and 4 door Jeeps, mine included, a couple of Four Runners and a RAV 4. I drove up to the AB upper trailhead Friday to check out the conditions since I didn't want to drive out in the dark for the first time in the area. Been raining a lot in this area. With decent tires, clearance, and careful line choice, most 4wd/AWD vehicles should be able to make it. County Road 30 from Lake City is in pretty poor condition right now with the amount of rain. A minefield of potholes, exposed rocks, and gullies in the road. Took 2 hours to get to AB trailhead.
Don't Dream It, Do It!
3DCJ
14ers: 54  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 3DCJ »

I climbed Handies via Boulder Gulch. Scenic route, many options during the climb and I saw no one until the summit.