Grays and Torreys Parking

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Grays and Torreys Parking

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

Hey All! I haven't been up to Grays and Torreys for 12 years (avoiding crowds on the mountains as much as possible these days) so I am definitely not current on the parking situation. I'm taking some friends up Grays and Torreys mid-week next week and am wondering what time we need to be to the upper TH to get a spot. I absolutely want to avoid having to hike up the road! Thanks!
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
antoniuser
14ers: 2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grays and Torreys Parking

Post by antoniuser »

I climbed Torreys and Grays on Wednesday 8/24. Was on the trailhead around 6:30, there were 5 or 6 free spots on the parking lot. Classic route was pretty busy already, but almost nobody on Kelso ridge route.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

You should leave now.

And even then you're probably too late.

:mrgreen:
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

antoniuser wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:11 am I climbed Torreys and Grays on Wednesday 8/24. Was on the trailhead around 6:30, there were 5 or 6 free spots on the parking lot. Classic route was pretty busy already, but almost nobody on Kelso ridge route.
Were you the climber who passed me just before the Mini-Knife Edge? I was wearing a black shirt, orange helmet, probably led you astray dropping slightly down to the north side of the ridge before hitting the MKE (seems like it might’ve been more straightforward, if potentially less dignified, just to scramble on top right after the crossover point and stay up there). Congrats on getting them both if so; I decided that, while I do have a certain fondness for Grays, I didn’t really need a 7th summit of it just yet.

OP, I left the TH shortly after 5:30 also on 8/24, and while the main lot was filling up steadily, I don’t recall seeing any cars in the overflow lot right by the stream at that time. They had filled that area by the time I returned at 1 pm, however, so I’d guess parking might’ve filled up completely sometime during the morning. If that was anything to go by, I’d guess that as long you aim to park/start hiking around dawn, you should be fine.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
antoniuser
14ers: 2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by antoniuser »

Were you the climber who passed me just before the Mini-Knife Edge? I was wearing a black shirt, orange helmet,
Oh yes, probably it was me. We chatted a bit and then I passed you on this Knife Edge crux, right? I am glad you made it, that was definitely the trickiest part of the route! Yes, i did Grays after, that was easy after Kelso scrambling) For me it was the first time on both peaks.