South Mineral Creek TH / Ice Lake Trail

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

South Mineral Creek TH / Ice Lake Trail

Post by TravelingMatt »

There used to be two trailheads for the Ice Lake Trail: The lower on on the main South Mineral Creek Road and then another one a few hundred feet higher off FR 815, the road that goes up to Clear Lake.

Last time I was there was pre-covid and pre-fires. The upper TH had "no parking" signs but people were still parking there anyway, outside the area indicated by the signs.

Anyone have any recent info on whether the "upper" trail can be parked at and used? Is it, "closed and strictly enforced", "has signs but still technically possible to park nearby" or something else?

Also, has Ice Lake become the sh*tshow of Instagrammers I've heard about?

I want to do Pilot Knob soon and am weighing the standard route versus going up from Ophir.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Mineral Creek TH / Ice Lake Trail

Post by Skimo95 »

I did the Ice Lakes peaks via the first switchback on the CL road. Room for 3-4 cars
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

The clear lake road was closed to vehicles and gated at CR7 when I was there in late June of this year. The crowds were non-existent in the dark of the morning and we saw a total of 3 people above the two lakes over the course of two days of peak bagging in the basins. However, at and below the lakes there were plenty of people in the late morning and afternoons. Although, it was typical quantity of people that you'd expect to see on an, excuse the term, "normie", trail. There were an absolutely ridiculous amount of GoPros and at least two drones, so that irked me more than the quantity of people
I thought, I taught, I wrought
RWinters
14ers: 58 
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

I was just up there. The road to Clear Lake is open. As stated there is a "No Parking" sign at the first switchback, but away from the sign there is room for a few cars.
"It's just right there"
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Was just up here. There is room for maybe 3 cars parked well. More realistically two.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Got it. Thanks.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake