night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by spong0949 »

I know, this is cheating:

Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

spong0949 wrote:I know, this is cheating:

Cheat on! That's great!
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

So I am just starting to mess around with some astrophotography, and took a few pics of the super moon the other week. Man, I have never had to mess with the camera's settings so much in my life before!

At 150mm

At 300mm with digital zoom
-Chris
Eschuette
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Eschuette »

Although not a mountain, it is a selfportrait in the backcountry of Australia at Wangi Falls....Cheers!
Attachments
Wangi falls
Wangi falls
248-2-7535-a.jpg (193.17 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

Instagram Id: ericschuettephotography
https://www.facebook.com/EricSchuettephotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

Orion over Evans

Big Dipper over Denver

-Chris
vonmackle
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I missed the good evening light on these rock formations near Silver Jack Reservoir on Saturday, so I made myself get up in the middle of the night to shoot them by moonlight.

ImageCimarron Basin Formations by Moonlight by CameronMillerPhotography, on Flickr
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
vonmackle
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I've been wanting to shoot this scene of Grays and Torreys under moonlight for a couple years now and I finally made it happen this past weekend. I camped in the basin near the saddle between Torreys and Kelso on Saturday night and made my way up to the ridge after dark. On the way up I got into a stare down with a creepy pair of eyes that I'm guessing was a fox. It was a great night.

24mm 20 sec at f8, iso 3200
ImageGrays and Torreys Peaks by Moonlight by CameronMillerPhotography
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Great shot! Very nice!
vonmackle wrote:I've been wanting to shoot this scene of Grays and Torreys under moonlight for a couple years now and I finally made it happen this past weekend. I camped in the basin near the saddle between Torreys and Kelso on Saturday night and made my way up to the ridge after dark. On the way up I got into a stare down with a creepy pair of eyes that I'm guessing was a fox. It was a great night.

24mm 20 sec at f8, iso 3200
ImageGrays and Torreys Peaks by Moonlight by CameronMillerPhotography
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Eschuette wrote:Although not a mountain, it is a selfportrait in the backcountry of Australia at Wangi Falls....Cheers!

F Yeah, nice
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
eleeth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eleeth »

Shot this by Willow Lake on a short backpacking trip to the bells this summer.
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

Watching the Perseids meteor shower on Guanella pass this past summer. Unfortunately, no meteors were caught on film, but I learned a lot about night shooting and will give it another go as soon as I can.

Last edited by Couloirman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Couloir than you are
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

Sweet, merciful Jesus! I just discovered this thread right now (well, maybe 1 minute previous to now). These pictures are amazing!

This is great, folks. Keep it up!
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."