night sky pictures

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: night sky pictures

Post by nsaladin »

climbing_rob wrote:A little different, meaning no stars, but I did catch the moon setting over the Sydney Opera House a few weeks ago (from our Hostel rooftop patio, happy hour every night!).

Hand-held (but braced on railing), 1/2 second, f6.3, ISO 800, 50mm lens (on APS-C).

One fun note is that the features on the moon are rotated about 80 degrees from what we see here in Colorado.
why is there a perfect square around the moon in this image?
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

nsaladin wrote:why is there a perfect square around the moon in this image?
Jpg compression.
vonmackle
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

I waddled up to Guanella Pass on Saturday to do a little winter camping and to shoot some pictures of Mount Bierstadt. I shot this just after sunset with the rising full moon lighting up the clouds over the Sawtooth.

f5.6 20sec 24mm iso1600
ImageWinter Camping Near Mount Bierstadt
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

vonmackle wrote:I waddled up to Guanella Pass on Saturday to do a little winter camping and to shoot some pictures of Mount Bierstadt. I shot this just after sunset with the rising full moon lighting up the clouds over the Sawtooth.
^^I really really really like that photo, Cameron!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

USAKeller wrote: ^^I really really really like that photo, Cameron!
Thanks, Caroline!
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
SkiBum1287
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SkiBum1287 »

Wilson Peak and Lizard Head in the fall
Attachments
San Juans 2015 754a.jpg
San Juans 2015 754a.jpg (172.38 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
Snow!
cbarnard
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbarnard »

vonmackle wrote:I waddled up to Guanella Pass on Saturday to do a little winter camping and to shoot some pictures of Mount Bierstadt. I shot this just after sunset with the rising full moon lighting up the clouds over the Sawtooth.

f5.6 20sec 24mm iso1600
ImageWinter Camping Near Mount Bierstadt

Great photo...almost no noise shooting at ISO 1600 and at f/5.6
charro callado
Trip Reports (1)

Post by charro callado »

This was from last August...I initially planned to get to K2 by 2am to start shooting, but the weather was really iffy from about 1-3am so I ended up hanging out in a somewhat protected spot by some large rocks. By the time I saw the clouds clearing, the moon had started to rise and the stars were getting washed out. I booked it up to K2 to grab a quick shot, and I seriously had like 5 minutes before the stars were pretty much gone. It's ok though...my twilight/sunrise shot was worth the trip.

coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I've only just started venturing into the world of nighttime photography. Here's a photo of the moon this January, about two days after the full moon.
January Moon
January Moon
5Q3A2745.jpg (170.51 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
CamKelley
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CamKelley »

This thread really excites me. I'm big into night/astrophotography. Currently living in NC it seems no matter how far you drive, you're still light polluted. Cant wait to pack up my backpacking scope and get a little camping and photography in this winter!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

The skies cleared up nicely on the second night of a soggy three day loop through the Lost Creek Wilderness last weekend.

f2.8, 24mm, 20sec, iso 5000
ImageMilky Way from Camp Near Tarryall Peak, Lost Creek Wilderness
rmattas
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmattas »

Outstanding...
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton