Wolverine near Bierstadt

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Wolverine near Bierstadt

Post by vonmackle »

I was up taking pictures of Bierstadt and the Sawtooth yesterday and had the great fortune to see this extremely rare critter. As I was setting up my camera I heard a lot of noise coming from the beaver pond below me. I loudly cleared my throat to make whatever it was aware of my presence. Moments later this guy ran up the hill to get a look at me and I managed to get three shots of it before it ran away. I honestly had no idea it was a wolverine. It crossed my mind briefly, but I immediately dismissed the idea because they are so rare in Colorado. It wasn't until I got home and did some research that I realized it really was a wolverine. In the morning I sent the photos to the Division of Wildlife, and they comfirmed it. Amazing. I feel like I just won the wildlife lottery.
wolverine-1486.jpg
wolverine-1486.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 10628 times
wolverine-1485-2.jpg
wolverine-1485-2.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 10628 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
jasonmiller
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wolverine near Bierstadt

Post by jasonmiller »

Wow that is cool! Great pics, thanks for posting
"It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop."
Magnum420
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Magnum420 »

Great!! I saw one cross the road by Green Mountain Res a year or so ago, but the DOW/FS didnt believe me because I didnt have pictures. They said there was no way it could have been a wolverine.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

Very cool...I never knew they were up there. Nice pic!
WillV
14ers: 52  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WillV »

Wow! What a treat. Thanks for sharing!
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

That is great to see. What a badass looking animal. Thanks for posting.
zxbraves
14ers: 58  6  6 
13ers: 46 3 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by zxbraves »

Awesome pic. Could you tell if it had adamantium claws?
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Sweet photo.

You should touch base with this guy because he said he saw one near Square Top about seven months ago:

Possible wolverine sighting
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Cool. Just don't let Napoleon Dynamite know it's out there!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

vonmackle wrote:I was up taking pictures of Bierstadt and the Sawtooth yesterday and had the great fortune to see this extremely rare critter. As I was setting up my camera I heard a lot of noise coming from the beaver pond below me. I loudly cleared my throat to make whatever it was aware of my presence. Moments later this guy ran up the hill to get a look at me and I managed to get three shots of it before it ran away. I honestly had no idea it was a wolverine. It crossed my mind briefly, but I immediately dismissed the idea because they are so rare in Colorado. It wasn't until I got home and did some research that I realized it really was a wolverine. In the morning I sent the photos to the Division of Wildlife, and they comfirmed it. Amazing. I feel like I just won the wildlife lottery.
wolverine-1486.jpg
wolverine-1485-2.jpg
That's badass. I never see any cool wildlife on my outings. :(
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Wow! Thanks for sharing.