Wolverine near Bierstadt

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wolverine near Bierstadt

Post by 14erFred »

Fans of the University of Michigan have gotta love it. :wink:
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Excellent!

I'm sure you got the DOW folks all excited
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

Did you snap that pic near the trees where folks normally leave the road at that major switchback? When the road is closed with snow, folks normally get their snowshoes on there and head straight over to the trail rather than continuing on the road to the Summer TH. I only ask cuz I will be doing Bierstadt Thursday after work and will be passing right by that spot. What time of day did you spot this guy?
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Awesome pictures! So exciting to know that they are out there and you never know what you may see while out for a hike. It's crazy to think that these guys are living so close to the population of Denver. Thanks for sharing!
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

That's awesome!!! Nice photos! :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

So Cool! Great picture!
rangercarl
14ers: 29  20  1 
13ers: 71 52
Trip Reports (1)

Amazing sight!

Post by rangercarl »

You are one of the lucky few who have seen these animals in CO. There are rumors of a possible reintroduction...
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

So glad you got those photos! Fingers are crossed for these guys reestablishing in the front range and the Colorado rockies in general!
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Post by moneymike »

wow, you totally DID win the lottery. That's awesome! I'm glad your photos didn't turn out blurry like the big foot photos. Where's pic #3?
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Totally a lottery. According to Wiki, there are estimated 28 to 52 animals in the whole Rocky Mountain region.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

I'd recommend The Wolverine Way by Douglas Chadwick to anyone interested in learning more about wolverines. It's based around a study done in Glacier National Park, and is just flat out cool. http://www.amazon.com/The-Wolverine-Way ... 0979065976

Patagonia did a little video on it as well
The only time I lower the bar is après
RockyMountainMustang
14ers: 32 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RockyMountainMustang »

That is SO awesome!!! Where abouts and what time did you run into this guy? I was going to go up Bierstadt soon. of course wolverines are mad movers, so it's unlikely to see it in the same spot again...
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller