How do you carry your DLSR?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: How do you carry your DLSR?

Post by nyker »

It's going to be a trade-off. How much do you want good publish-quality images for your image library vs. just good images to look at on your phone or via email to share with friends?

I carry my DSLR on every hike or climb now and just put it in my normal backpack. I used to bring a point and shoot, but never was able to get the photos I wanted which was important to me especially in lower light. I'd get back home and most images were just not good, particularly when enlarged. So, I deal with the extra few pounds and carry it in my pack. I don't carry it outside my pack (ie around my neck) for fear of it bumping into a rock or something. When there is a chance of seeing notable wildlife, I also take a longer fast tele zoom with me (which doubles the photography gear weight) and figure it makes good training weight! haha. Occasionally, I'll bring a tripod too if I'll be walking in an area during sunrise or sunset or where reflective lakes may exist, etc.

On the other hand, if I am doing a daytrip assault on a long, Whitney-length climb, I'll only carry one small lens and just the camera, (still DSLR), but no tripod and no other lenses.

If I am doing a PURE photography trip (rare) I'll bring a photo gear designed pack with slots for LONG zooms, bodies, and small lenses...which is in a reinforced pack. Usually though unless I need a 400mm lens, I'll just wrap each lens in a Tshirt and put them in my existing pack.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

No carry case for me! I keep it simple and ready, hanging from my neck wrapped in a Zing neoprene wrap, only a few ounces:

http://www.amazon.com/Zing-502-202-SXB1 ... pd_sim_p_5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The pack's sternum strap keeps the hanging camera close to my body. When I use the camera, unbuckle the strap, unwrap the zing and snap away.

A second lens in a lightweight zipper pouch attached to my pack waist belt. Two lenses is all I ever carry for anything longer than a few miles. I've tried various cases numerous times over the years and basically, if my camera is in a case, I won't be taking pictures as often. My DSLR for longer hikes is very light, 13 ounces, plus a 7 ounce lens, the Canon SL1 w/ 18-55mm STM/IS. Barely even notice it hanging from my neck. When absolute best image quality wanted, I carry my 28 ounce full frame Canon 6D in the same zing wrap (I have two) with a 28-105mm lens. Still only 2lb-11 ounces. the extra lens on my belt is a 15mm ultrawide or sometimes a long zoom.

Just my own personal Modus Operandi.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Has anyone used any of the Clik Elite chest carriers? I am interested in getting the ProBody SLR Chest Carrier.

http://clikelite.com/product/chest-carr ... obody-slr/
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ