Borrow Lenses

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Borrow Lenses

Post by colokeith »

I ran across this site recently. I think I will give it a try for an upcoming trip. I seem to spend all my expendable income on outdoor gear, and I never have the $1k I want to sink into some lenses. The site also rents DSLR Bodies.

https://www.borrowlenses.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Borrow Lenses

Post by jmanner »

Interesting... However if you rent much longer than a week you might as well buy the lens.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Those are very cheap prices although I wonder how much shipping normally costs. If you do give them a try, let us know how easy they are to work with.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

For locally here in Denver try http://www.camren.com/camera/index.html
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by livetothemax96 »

+1 on Camren. I use them all the time for grabbing some bigger L series lenses that run 10k normally for $75 a day and have never had a problem. Plus it's local which is always nice. Good people that know there stuff too and can answer any questions you might have about what equipment you need
whats life unless you live it?
NuttyFTW
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NuttyFTW »

I used Borrow Lenses for the first time in April. Rented a Canon 100-400L from them for an air show. It was a good experience. Shipping was $25-$30, but covered shipping both ways. They do require a signature on delivery from the person whose name is on the order, but you can choose to pick it up from a FedEx Office store. I've got a Canon 10-22 rented for an upcoming 14er attempt.

BL has some other interesting things to rent too . I would have liked to have rented a GoPro as a dash cam for the scenic drives.
zerkman
14ers: 26  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zerkman »

BorrowLenses was founded by a buddy of mine who grew up locally and went to Smokey Hills HS. So they do have a Colorado connection.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

zerkman wrote:BorrowLenses was founded by a buddy of mine who grew up locally and went to Smokey Hills HS. So they do have a Colorado connection.
Go Smoky Hill Buffs!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
JGiffinPhotog
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JGiffinPhotog »

zerkman wrote:BorrowLenses was founded by a buddy of mine who grew up locally and went to Smokey Hills HS. So they do have a Colorado connection.
What year from Smoky? I graduated from there in '99. Small world. Looks like a useful site as well!
http://www.jgiffinphotos.com

"...Let's go exploring!" - Bill Watterson
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

I have rented from http://www.lensrentals.com in the past and everything has been very straight forward. Pretty much left me wanting the better lenses!
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...