Mt. Rainier from peak/ plane

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JacobW
14ers: 45  17  4 
13ers: 21 11 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Rainier from peak/ plane

Post by JacobW »

We scored an amazing weekend a few years ago where we Skied Rainier on a Saturday and then skied St. Helens two days later, with perfect weather the whole time. Here's an image from the top of St. Helens looking at Rainier and Adams.
IMG_2754 (1).jpg
IMG_2754 (1).jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Had a pretty spectacular view heading back from Seatac a few weeks ago...not my first time seeing it from the plane, but by far the closest and clearest. (the flight sucked, but the trip was absolutely amazing)

Standing on the summit, several years ago, I had a sense of the view seeming like it was out of an airplane window, to an extent I've experienced on no other peak except maybe Orizaba.
Attachments
IMG_20200803_114036_349.jpg
IMG_20200803_114036_349.jpg (153.08 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Wilbur Simmons
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wilbur Simmons »

A bit blurry, but it was a great shot nonetheless. When are you planning to reach its peak again, ChrisinAZ?
ChrisinAZ
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I would like to get back up there and climb Liberty Cap. No idea on time frame right now though...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Is it a fairly big side trip to include Liberty Cap before/after summiting Rainier? On LoJ, it looks like most people have done only Rainier vs doing both.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

bdloftin77 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 pm Is it a fairly big side trip to include Liberty Cap before/after summiting Rainier? On LoJ, it looks like most people have done only Rainier vs doing both.
LC is not as high a priority for two reasons: 1) due to the Bulger rule. The Bulger criteria exclude volcano subpeaks under a certain prominence threshold. 2) the degree of difficulty to climb LC, as it is much more technically demanding than the DC route.
ChrisinAZ
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

bdloftin77 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 pm Is it a fairly big side trip to include Liberty Cap before/after summiting Rainier? On LoJ, it looks like most people have done only Rainier vs doing both.
I think the easiest way to do it is from the Emmons Glacier route where I think you can get to the saddle between the two. It's about 1300' of extra gain for the out and back from Columbia Crest otherwise. On my summit day, my climbing partner and I were so beat that we didn't even consider it by the time we got up there.

I recall that even by the Bulger list criteria, LC should be considered a summit. But Rainier is simply so massive of a mountain that LC looks insignificant from below, as a separate summit. I think that's the main reason...
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks