Lens recommendation for mirrorless setup

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KTMSteve
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Lens recommendation for mirrorless setup

Post by KTMSteve »

So I'm looking at making the switch to a mirrorless camera setup and looking for some advice/recommendations on lens selection.

Primarily looking for something for landscape shots in the mountains. I've got a decent 70X300 for my dslr so I'm not as concerned with having the telephoto aspect at the moment as more of just a good lens for mountain shots. What are you guys using for a one lens setup to head up to the hills with focal length wise?

Looking at going with a Sony A6000 or 6300 and wondering if anyone had experience with the kit lens or if I would be better doing just body and spending the money on an upgraded lens more specific to my wants.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Lens recommendation for mirrorless setup

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I'm not sure what your lens choices are with a Sony system but my landscape preference for the mountains is normally a 17-55. Something like that should be about right for your Sony as well. I also carry a 10-22 sometimes as well.
Nodelic
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nodelic »

What camera do you currently have? What are your wants in a new lens/body (what is your goal for getting a new lens/body)? Are you looking to expand your photography into a different field/genre? Is your DSLR limited on lens choice/what DSLR do you have?

I personally would not buy Sony, but I also don't do a lot of video work. I've read that their reliance on software also can lead to things like the "Star Eater Issue" (https://goo.gl/SFfz7v). Sony lenses also don't have the best reputation. Other excellent mirrorless alternative brands are Panasonic, Olympus, and Fujifilm (I've heard amazing things about Fujifilm).
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

I have two Sony mirrorless cameras..... the A6000 and the NEX C-3. I use the kit lenses that came with them exclusively (starving artist certainly applies!). They are the 16-50, the 18-55, and 55-210.

Both the cameras and the lenses have their pros/cons (like every camera and lens), but I suggest you scroll through the other photography threads in this forum and check out the photos I have posted on them using these lenses. The majority of the more recent shots posted are with the 16-50, but there are several with the other two as well. I don't think you will be disappointed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KTMSteve
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KTMSteve »

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Mark appreciate the insight on the 16X50 kit lens, some great shots on there, that was the one I was planning on starting out with. How big of a deal is the weather proofing? The guys at the camera shop were not really sold on the Sony weather proofing and suggested the a6000 over the a6300 and spending the cost difference on an upgraded lens.

@Nodelic, my current set up is a Nikon D40, with a 70X300 telephoto and a Tokina 12X24 wide angle. My biggest problem with this kit is because of its bulk and weight I leave it at home about 90% of the time. I know I have seen many of you lugging all the gear to the top and you are stronger men than I, but it would be nice to keep the weight down. I also have a Nikon AW130, their waterproof/shockproof camera. It does great for the requisite summit shots but when I have blown the pictures up to 8X10 they obviously lack quality compared to the DSLR. After seeing some of the images of a mirrorless system and reduced size and weight I thought that would be a good direction to head as I was looking to upgrade my DLSLR body anyway.

Again thanks for the input guys.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

No problem, glad I could help with input.

I agree about the 6000 over the 6300. I can't speak for the weather sealed body on the 6300, but in order to make it a complete system you would need expensive WR lenses anyway. I think the overall image quality is similar so it's hard to justify the extra expense for the 6300 unless the additional features were more tailored to your specific needs. I can tell you the A6000 is a fantastic camera for the money.

As far as the weatherproofing being a big deal? The short answer for someone who spends a lot of time hiking (esp. 14ers) is.....yes. Before converting to mirrorless (best photography decision I have ever made), I had a Pentax K5 DSLR......which was built like a tank. It was completely weather sealed and it gave me confidence in wet......or windy conditions (esp. in a place like the Sand Dunes). Even without the WR lens(es) I felt like I was so much more rugged and durable out there. So in spite of my comment above about needing WR lenses to be complete (still true), the next best thing is a weatherproof camera body.

That being said, there's more to the answer. The old adage is "the best camera is the one you take the most", or something to that effect. Along those lines, I found myself feeling increasingly burdened by the bulkiness and esp. weight of a DSLR and full size lenses (esp. the longer zooms). And that's taking into account the K5 is relatively small compared to a lot of cameras in its class. Hence with the radical change to mirrorless. Man.....it's so much easier to carry around!!!

So my sense is......yes, I am less apt to SHOOT the A6000 in bad weather than the K5. But that doesn't mean I don't take it along in bad weather. You can get a waterproof bag to protect.

Finally....you have to ask yourself how often you actually will be shooting during rain. I have shot in light rain for short durations with no problem. The a6000 is small and light, but it's got a decent build. I have used it in snowy conditions and very cold with no issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Nodelic wrote: I personally would not buy Sony, but I also don't do a lot of video work. I've read that their reliance on software also can lead to things like the "Star Eater Issue" (https://goo.gl/SFfz7v). Sony lenses also don't have the best reputation.
most folks who get seriously into photography (and the ones who aren't won't really understand or care about the "star eater" issue) won't be using the sony lens for their gear. i know i don't. the a7 is still a tremendous camera (and they have released a patch that has made the star eater issue less of a problem anyway) and the a9 won't have the issue at all.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

I'm not a fan of the lower level Sony stuff. I also just really personally dislike the Sony menus.

if you are doing stills, I highly recommend Fuji. and apparently the Fuji XT2 has pretty good video. also weather sealing. I have an XT1 (sealed) with a Rokinon 12mm 2.0 that I use for landscapes. it's not sealed, and it's manual focus, but it takes really great photos. There's a sealed (WR) fuji 16mm 1.4 that I hear is phenomenal but it's also 9 bills new.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

IMHO weather-proofing is not very important. I've been shooting with a Sony NEX-6 for four seasons in all kinds of conditions, and it's still doing fine. I got some moisture between the lens and body once, making for fuzzy photos, but once it dried it worked as well as ever. I have had problems with the kit 16-50 lens, unfortunately. I had the zoom motor break on two of them, then gave up and put on a pancake instead.
Nodelic
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nodelic »

@KTMSteve, well we can give you all sorts of recommendations, but I personally think the most important thing when selecting a new camera is that it feels right in your hands when you shoot with it. With regards specifically to lens recommendations, check out whatever program you use for post production (if you do use one) and figure out the 35mm equivalent focal lengths you use the most. I would then look for the system that covers those 35mm equivalent focal lengths the best. For example, if you're looking for a "standard prime lens" everyone sells a "nifty 50" equivalent, but one of the best ones you can get right now is Nikon's 35mm f1.8 DX lens for DX cameras as it delivers great image quality for less cost than pretty much any other manufacturer. Edit: Also you have a Nikon, so it might save you a lot of money if you ended up sticking to your current camera system.
brichardsson wrote:
Nodelic wrote: I personally would not buy Sony, but I also don't do a lot of video work. I've read that their reliance on software also can lead to things like the "Star Eater Issue" (https://goo.gl/SFfz7v). Sony lenses also don't have the best reputation.
most folks who get seriously into photography (and the ones who aren't won't really understand or care about the "star eater" issue) won't be using the sony lens for their gear. i know i don't. the a7 is still a tremendous camera (and they have released a patch that has made the star eater issue less of a problem anyway) and the a9 won't have the issue at all.
Yes, but the OP mentioned that he is looking at the a6000/a6300 right now. I don't think he's looking to splash the cash on a Sony a9. He also specifically asked about the kit lens that comes with the a6000/a6300.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Nodelic wrote:
Yes, but the OP mentioned that he is looking at the a6000/a6300 right now. I don't think he's looking to splash the cash on a Sony a9. He also specifically asked about the kit lens that comes with the a6000/a6300.
OP asked if it "would be better doing just body and spending the money on an upgraded lens more specific to my wants." a subsequent post warned off all sony lenses. my point was, and still is, that most of us don't use the kit lens, so that should not be an issue. there are plenty of good lenses out there (including sony) if OP is willing to spend the money. specifically for the sony i would mention the zeiss lenses.
Nodelic
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nodelic »

brichardsson wrote:
Nodelic wrote:
OP asked if it "would be better doing just body and spending the money on an upgraded lens more specific to my wants." a subsequent post warned off all sony lenses. my point was, and still is, that most of us don't use the kit lens, so that should not be an issue. there are plenty of good lenses out there (including sony) if OP is willing to spend the money. specifically for the sony i would mention the zeiss lenses.
Someone is getting defensive about Sony :wink:. He asked if anyone had experience with the kit lens Or whether it’s worth upgrading the lens. I was answering his question. Again if Steve is looking at keeping it affordable, I don’t think Zeiss lenses are a good suggestion for him.