Camera repair in Colo?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
+Gravy
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Camera repair in Colo?

Post by +Gravy »

Anyone know of a good camera repair place in Colorado?
It's an old school film SLR from the early 2000's.
Electronics are fine, something is wrong perhaps with the seating for the lenses, or possibly the inner plate mechanism, or possibly the focus mechanisms.
jbealer
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 175 9
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Camera repair in Colo?

Post by jbealer »

check out Mikes camera they are about the only camera shop still around, i have bought my last 3 from them.
No Mountain too steep, No trail too long....
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

I've never gone to Mike's Camera without them making me feel like complete crap. You ask a simple question, and they're just laugh amongst themselves at you. That is if you're even served at all.

I think wherever you go, the repair will cost as much as a new camera, unfortunately.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Mike's Camera sadly is likely to be your only option but I agree with what Justiner said. Unless you just have a nostalgic love for the camera save the money on repair and go buy a new one.

Low end digital SLRs aren't that expensive and your old lenses will likely work (might require an adapter).
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

justiner wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:33 am You ask a simple question, and they're just laugh amongst themselves at you.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:55 am Low end digital SLRs aren't that expensive and your old lenses will likely work (might require an adapter).

The built-in cameras on new cell phones are really getting pretty good. I get very nice pics from an old iphone and I'm upgrading to a 12 with multiple lenses and built in editing software. I've seen output from one and it looks impressive.

When I want large format content, I bring my DSLR but everything else works just fine from the phone...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Jon Frohlich wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:55 am Low end digital SLRs aren't that expensive and your old lenses will likely work (might require an adapter).

The built-in cameras on new cell phones are really getting pretty good. I get very nice pics from an old iphone and I'm upgrading to a 12 with multiple lenses and built in editing software. I've seen output from one and it looks impressive.

When I want large format content, I bring my DSLR but everything else works just fine from the phone...
I have the iPhone 12 Mini and I have received many complements on the picture quality. I have been super happy with it.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Its not in CO, but I've had good luck with this place:
https://phototech.com/
Call them ahead of time to make sure they can help with your model.
You can send it in and they turn them around pretty quickly. Just get insurance just in case...
+Gravy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +Gravy »

This is all very helpful information!
Thank you for your brains everyone.
Last edited by +Gravy on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaagaard
14ers: 16 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by eaagaard »

Agree with the cellphone comments. A lot easier to carry as well. (That may be a major reason camera stores are increasingly rare, btw!)

I’m just curious - what kind of film camera are you trying to repair? It’s possible you might pick up a used one of the same kind good shape for less than the cost of a repair. I’ve had great luck with KEH, for example.
Chelsea
14ers: 16 
13ers: 111 4
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Chelsea »

I've used Englewood Camera in the past! Just for a sensor cleaning, not a major repair. But they may be able to help you!
+Gravy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +Gravy »

Last edited by +Gravy on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.