Fall colors

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tdaniel9
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Fall colors

Post by tdaniel9 »

I've been to CO in the summer and winter, but never in the fall. This year it looks like I'll be in CO from around Sept. 30-Oct. 8th. The google tells me this will be peak fall leaves. I know this obviously varies a little year-to-year, but I wanted to see if anyone local remembers when exactly the leaves turned over the last few years. Thanks a bunch!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Fall colors

Post by peter303 »

Those dates are for the cities like Denver Boulder and San Juans. Its really about a 7 week process beginning on the north side of the state and highest tree altitude 12,000 feet, progressing south and low altitude. There could be a smidgen of color right now, though I have not seen it or read of it. Then its over by Halloween. The dates can fluctuate by two weeks due to temperature and precipitation, though there is no formula to predict it.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Crested Butte (Kebler Pass) has peaked each several years the first weekend in October. It’s my favorite place to go and given your timeframe I would highly recommend starting there. You could then make your way down to Ridgway/Telluride/Silverton and find close to peak colors there as well.

Places further north (Aspen/Twin Lakes/Vail/Kenosha Pass) will have dropped most of their leaves by then.

This is of course subject to change. An early cold snap or big wind storm can wreak havoc and end the fall Colorado season completely. Conversely the wetter monsoon this season could delay them it’s anyone’s guess. But those dates you should at least see some good color in those locations.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

CO 9 between Kremmling and Silverthorne had some that were already starting to turn about a week ago. From my experience Sept.30 seems a bit late for peak colors over the last few years, at least around the Denver/I-70 area. But like others have said, it depends on different factors and each year is a little different. I think I'd feel pretty good about that time frame farther south in the areas dwoodward mentioned.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
tdaniel9
14ers: 38 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tdaniel9 »

Much appreciated!