Clip-on / wearable cameras

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
overthe59hill
14ers: 16 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (30)

Clip-on / wearable cameras

Post by overthe59hill »

I searched the forum and did not find this topic discussed. I am searching for something to clip on my jacket or shirt. I found the brand name Serene Life that might perform adequately for hiking. I am concerned about battery life, length of videos, rain resistance, long distance, and quality of pictures. Has anyone ever used any such camera, have any information or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Gail
"Unfortunately, the mountains had a way of dealing with overconfidence."
Laura M. Clark, in Wild Wanderer: Soloing Colorado's 200 Highest Peaks
Chelsea
13ers: 111 4
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Clip-on / wearable cameras

Post by Chelsea »

Hi Gail, what exactly are you hoping to use the camera for? Do you want to record video while you're walking? Or do you just want something that clips up to leave your hands free?
CBinmt
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CBinmt »

Check out Insta360 GO 2. I wear it on the brim of my hat it is so small. It's only 2.7K image quality but I find it good enough. It's easy to use, can be carried in a pocket and all the work to get a good result is done when you get home. Dropping it in the snow would probably be the end of it but so far I have had no problems.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

There's a variety of police style bodycams available.
I can't recall the one I have on my kit right now, but it's small, light, tucks into a pen pocket and has a clip. Can either do still or video. Lasts about 8 hours, battery is the limiting factor, not storage.

Really depends on what you want and why. But camera solutions are cheap these days.
overthe59hill
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

Chelsea wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:53 pm Hi Gail, what exactly are you hoping to use the camera for? Do you want to record video while you're walking? Or do you just want something that clips up to leave your hands free?
I want to be able to get video hands free while hiking.
overthe59hill
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

CBinmt wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:21 pm Check out Insta360 GO 2. I wear it on the brim of my hat it is so small. It's only 2.7K image quality but I find it good enough. It's easy to use, can be carried in a pocket and all the work to get a good result is done when you get home. Dropping it in the snow would probably be the end of it but so far I have had no problems.
Thanks. 🤔 I can look at that.
overthe59hill
Trip Reports (30)

Post by overthe59hill »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:17 pm There's a variety of police style bodycams available.
I can't recall the one I have on my kit right now, but it's small, light, tucks into a pen pocket and has a clip. Can either do still or video. Lasts about 8 hours, battery is the limiting factor, not storage.

Really depends on what you want and why. But camera solutions are cheap these days.
Thanks. I saw one like that. It seems pretty good. I can't remember much about it, but I'll give it another look.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I have used GoPros while climbing technical areas with it clipped on my helmet. There is also a strap on type thing that attaches to your chest/shoulders that I have used while doing Tough Mudders. It works great but make sure you select a lower quality than the highest 4k 60fps for long hikes.