Google Maps Link from TH Pages on Mobile

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bsiegs
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (2)

Google Maps Link from TH Pages on Mobile

Post by bsiegs »

When using the mobile app and clicking on the "Google Maps" link from a trailhead page, is there any way to set the link to open within the Google Maps App (if the user has it downloaded), rather than in a web browser (current behavior)? Upon loading, the Google Maps mobile web browser does prompt the user to "Open in App", but clicking on this simply brings up the app store, even when the Google Maps app is already downloaded (seems like an issue from Google's side?). Either way, it would be great to avoid this altogether though by having it open in app by default.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Google Maps Link from TH Pages on Mobile

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

It should try to open the Google Maps app.

What OS/device type are you using? And what version of the 14ers.com app? It can be found in Settings->Version
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
bsiegs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

v2.0.8 running on iOS 15.4.1
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

bsiegs wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:45 pm v2.0.8 running on iOS 15.4.1
First off, try to upgrade the app to the latest version (v3.0.4) although I’m not sure in what version I updated all the Google links
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
bsiegs
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bsiegs »

Yup that was it - I should have made sure I was on the latest version before posting. Thanks!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Win
I’m glad I could somehow help from the high desert of Nevada!