Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Facebook vs 14ers.com (website or app)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Please God, Bill, keep this site going. I used to post a bunch 7-8 years ago when this place was lively but I still use it all the time and I don’t have FB. FB is a major downfall of my generation. It’s not about anything besides personal promotion. This site is about quality information. When I did have FB I had to silence the 14ers group. Kudos to anyone remotely responsible for that
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

forbins_mtn wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm Please God, Bill, keep this site going.
Did you just refer to Bill as..."God"???!!! :shock: :-"

I agree with keeping this forum/site. I also use FB but never use the 14er page. And yes, I'm pretty old school but still love the mountains.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Good call. Wrote fast on my phone

Rephrase: Bill, for the love of God, keep this site going!

Better?
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

I got banned from Facebook in 2018, so I can't speak directly to its recent content, but here a brief summary of the 14ers and related pages. Facebook 14ers: busy, too busy, especially during the summer months. The signal to noise ratio makes it almost useless for people seeking actual information. Facebook 13ers: useful to people working on centennials, bicentennials, or all of the 13ers. Also good for backcountry skiers. Informative and specific, but with an inescapable whiff of elitism. Facebook 12ers and under: the Freaks and Geeks of the Colorado backcountry. Warning: could lead to the creation of a Lists of John profile, and beyond that a $20 annual tithe that enables access to the most comprehensive database of summits in the continental United States. Crack cocaine for peakbaggers and list dorkery.

The 14ers dot com remains an engaging website for those who do not participate in Mark Zuckerberg's "walled garden" of surveillance and censorship. I haven't participated much recently because I've been busy with other things, and with a nearly seven month gap between my last and most recent 14er (summited today), I haven't felt that anything I could add would create value for the users of this esteemed dot com.
bergsteigen wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:38 pm It’s all about the likes.
Yes it is, yes it certainly is. And since I can't Facebook anymore here's a picture from today for my mom:
external-validation.jpg
external-validation.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 12083 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Brian Thomas wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:45 pmWarning: could lead to the creation of a Lists of John profile, and beyond that a $20 annual tithe that enables access to the most comprehensive database of summits in the continental United States. Crack cocaine for peakbaggers and list dorkery.
Uh oh. I had a Lists of John account long before I was was on 14ers.com.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

forbins_mtn wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm Please God, Bill, keep this site going. I used to post a bunch 7-8 years ago when this place was lively but I still use it all the time and I don’t have FB. FB is a major downfall of my generation. It’s not about anything besides personal promotion. This site is about quality information. When I did have FB I had to silence the 14ers group. Kudos to anyone remotely responsible for that
bump forbin's comment, and to Bill and his wonderful work here, to keep this site going!

=D>
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

14ers.com is quite informative. This site contributes substantially as a resource for obtaining tremendous beta and knowledge on all peaks with summits above 13,000 feet.

Thanks, Bill
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

You kids and your "forums"... I still remember using alt.rec.hiking and hearing about this thing called "fourteenerworld"...
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

AnnaG22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm Facebook is already an "old" internet portal. I have some cousins that are Gen Z. Rest assured that the youngest millennials and down (say 1997, which, terrifying as it is, makes them college grads...and I'm not that old, I'm a damn millennial) use Facebook mostly for the benefit of their older relatives/siblings/etc, if they use it at all.
This is the reality—the youth (Gen Z) are not using Facebook at all anymore. This notion that the young relate to FB is no longer true.