! .com iOS App w/Track Recording !

Information on 14ers.com Mobile apps.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

! .com iOS App w/Track Recording !

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Over the winter I worked on major updates to the the iOS version of the 14ers.com mobile app and I finally reached a point where it can be sent to the App Store. Released today, v3.0.0 includes map track and waypoint recording. The new functionality is provided to those who use this app because of the 14er content and who would likely benefit from a clean, easy-to-use interface for recording tracks while hiking. It's not intended to be a full-featured mapping app like Caltopo or GAIA so I'm not trying to get anyone to use the 14ers mapping/recording instead.

However, it would be helpful if I could get a few experienced members to give it a whirl on some upcoming hikes, drives, walks, rides, whatever. If you're interested, I would appreciate the help and we can use this thread to report issues. I'm not looking for what the app is "missing," but rather what could be improved upon based on what's in the release. Currently, the only outstanding item that I will work on for the next release is the ability to IMPORT GPX data. I should have that done before summer.

Here are the v3 highlights and some screen shots:
  • Track and waypoint recording by tapping the Location button on the top right of the map
  • Use the "Record track" button to begin a track, then you can pause/resume/finish using the same button
  • Use the blue waypoint button to create a waypoint. When first added, you can position it where you like and then Save it. Also, recorded waypoints can be re-positioned later.
  • Manage recordings using "MY RECORDINGS"
  • Show/hide recordings on the map
  • Color coding of tracks and waypoints for easier identification
  • Exporting to GPX or KML (individual tracks, waypoints or a mixture of both)
  • Track "smoothing" :) Basic smoothing process that will remove obvious gps drift of track points
  • On the map, tap the coordinate to copy to the clipboard for sharing or emergency purposes
  • In My Recordings, long-press the entry to copy name/date/stats of the recording to the clipboard
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
wildernessdave
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 166 22 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ! .com iOS App w/Track Recording !

Post by wildernessdave »

New app keeps crashing on start up
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

wildernessdave wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:52 pm New app keeps crashing on start up
Whoa, what device and version of iOS is this happening on?
Feel free to PM me that info if you don't want to post it here.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

The new app works fine for me. Nice work in updating the app, Bill. =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

14erFred wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:46 am The new app works fine for me. Nice work in updating the app, Bill. =D>
Thanks!

My guess is that wDave has an older phone and I missed something with an old version of iOS. But I'm sure there will be a few other things we find so I'm ready to send out a minor release if there are any problems.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

The new app crashed on startup on my (older) device as well. I deleted it and started over and now it works fine.

Thanks so much for your work on this and for keeping it free!!!!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

shelly+ wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:31 am The new app crashed on startup on my (older) device as well. I deleted it and started over and now it works fine.

Thanks so much for your work on this and for keeping it free!!!!
Ah. What iOS version and device you're using? You can PM it to me if you'd rather.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

If you plan on tracking with the app this weekend, this was brought to my attention...

When you're tracking and have the app in the background, screen off, etc., sometimes it will stop providing track points. I've identified changes to make but until I put out a patch next week, anyone who wants to use the tracking should set Location Services to "Always" allow access to 14ers.com.

Just open iOS Settings, swipe down to the 14ers.com app and tap it to make the following changes to "Location".

Image Image
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Thank you SO much to those of you who sent feedback and helped me identify a few initial problems with the new functionality.

Today I released an update (v3.0.3) to the iOS app which takes care of the issues found.

Think summer!!