Forum rules
This forum is read-only
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Global warming shrinks mountains

Post by jimlup »

Seems like this thread now belongs somewhere other than "General Mountaineering Discussions". It now seems to have degenerated to chest thumping and is far removed from the topic of "Mountaineering".

I would meekly suggest we do what Cascadeclimbers.com does and create a "Spray" forum that the administrator can move threads that have gone off topic into. That way the chest thumpers can spray all they like while believing that they are making an important point and all.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Here's your chance Jimlup to take your suggestion up with Bill.

You probably know he's been asking members of 14ers.com for recommendations about how the site may be improved.

Otherwise, especially for a topic as charged as this one became, no one knows from the outset what will be said and what direction the thread will take.

Apart from you post, meekly provide Bill with your advice. Thanks.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

There has always been a forum for these sorts of things, called "Off Route" these days...
Last edited by KeithK on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
jhodlof
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jhodlof »

pknight wrote:We created the terrorists? Pretty sure fanatical Muslim clerics and their teachings, the likes of which are being quoted today, were originally written back in the 12th and 13th century. We can buy into the propaganda and believe the bullsh*t that because we are in certain parts of the world, we made terrorists, or acknowledge the fact that some ideologies promote and rely on fanatical violence to exist. Most of the quoted Imams and the like were alive a thousand years ago, well before America even existed. I am wondering how we created that? Maybe CNN shouldn't be your one resource. Read a book, like, the Koran, and then tell me that we created terrorists. That book(and I am not a fan of any organized religion, let alone Islam) is full of passages encouraging and condoning violence, and while I am not a history major, I am pretty sure America, the "we" you refer to, had nothing to do with it's writer or teachings.
Well, aside from the fact that you missed my point about terrorism being a poor litmus test for an election, or that either candidate will pretty much do nothing, you appear to be confusing writings with action. You also seem to think the only terrorists are Muslim terrorists, or perhaps that terrorist=Muslim, or maybe Muslim=terrorists. I don't know. Lets remember for a moment that there are Basque, Irish, Sicilian, Columbian, Mexican, and other groups around the world that are labeled or considered terrorists and have absolutely nothing to do with Islam.

Here's looking at the one Muslim terrorist organization that has actually managed to have a strike on US soil, Al Qaeda.
In 1979 when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan jihadists from around the Muslim world went to fight them. Being that we (the US) were involved in stopping the spread of communism, we trained and funded many of not most of the terrorists. We sent them weapons, we gave them a lot of their tactical knowledge. This included Bin Laden, and many of the people who would lead Al Qaeda. The soviets left, there was civil war, that Taliban group won, Al Quada was created along the way, and the rest is history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujahidin#Afghanistan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the soviets left Reagan decided that the best coarse of action was to allow them to fight amongst themselves in Afghanistan. That would have been fine except that when we entered Saudi Arabia to protect or oil supplies in 1990 we angered Bin laden and eventually they went from liking their former funders to hating us.

I do think its funny that you're so presumptuous as to believe that I watch CNN and that its the only source of information I have. You suggest the Koran as reading material to enlighten me. Last time I check it was written in the 7th century, not the 12th and 13th. I suggest you read something too, oh say, anything.[youtubevideo][/youtubevideo]
pknight
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pknight »

I didn't say the Koran was written in the 12th and 13th century. I was refering to a series of fanatical writings that were written by a number of Imams that were in repsonse to the crusades. EABOD. Posting on a saturday? Shouldn't you be out hiking or something?
jhodlof
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jhodlof »

pknight wrote: Posting on a saturday? Shouldn't you be out hiking or something?
Well, not at 9pm. I did climb the local 12er earlier in the day.
pknight
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pknight »

Being in Oklahoma, all I can say is that I climbed the local 2er today. Majorly bummed... you win...
bayouboy
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bayouboy »

sundog54 wrote:
bayouboy wrote:I'm honored by all of you on taking part on this thread. I started this thread with a tongue-in-check comment. :lol:

So I must put my two cents in. I don't think we have enough information to know whether or not global warming exits.
Thanks for starting it bayouboy. I notice you haven't responded to my offer to those who posted before me, that is, a dollar to anyone who can honestly say they've read the reports of the IPCC. Should I infer that
a) your silence on the matter means you have NOT read the reports (which are the largest work on the subject), but that
b) you still think that "we" don't have enough information to know whether or not global warming exists?

In short, if you haven't READ the biggest works on the subject, how is it possible for you to be informed about whether or not "we" have enough information? Maybe you meant to say "...I don't have enough information"?

Or maybe you just didn't see my post...possible...but then, reading all the posts would be another way to get more information about the subject, hmmm?

If you read the reports before I posted my offer, I'll give you a dollar.

Here's another way to look at the issue: take an evidence-based approach. What sort of event or evidence would convince you? Like, say, the ice disappearing completely from the Arctic Ocean during the three summer months? The glaciers melting completely away to nothing in Glacier National Park? What would alter your impartiality?

For me, I'd be convinced that global warming had ceased or reversed (note: I did not say "is not real") if either of the two above-mentioned processes reversed their current trends for five years running.
Sundog,

your assumptions are wrong in that my lack of response is that I forgot about this thread until tonight. But i'm not here to get into a serious global warming debate. I started this for fun and for thought... that's all.
billygoatmo
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billygoatmo »

GLOBAL WARMING MUST STOP! until i can climb the bells.