The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Global warming shrinks mountains

Post by Oman »

rob runkle wrote: I think that it is sad when the presidential race gets to a point where one of the candidates has to feel guilty about being a successful capitalist.
McCain is a noble and highly accomplished public servant. But a successful capitalist? I thought he has always been employed by the federal government. Are you talking about Obama and his book sales here?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

covfrrider wrote:I'll bet you think his family was born with the entitlement of being wealthy too... :roll:
McCain's money comes from his wife, who got it from her family, the owners of one of the largest Busch distributorships in the country. She funded his first Congressional campaign in 1982.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
climbing-dad
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing-dad »

Jim Davies wrote:
rob runkle wrote:I think that it is sad when the presidential race gets to a point where one of the candidates has to feel guilty about being a successful capitalist.
McCain made his money the old-fashioned way: family connections.
That's for public records to show. But wasn't it family connections for Al Gore (Al Gore Sr.) and John Kerry (Teresa Heinz) also?

As a side note...the cumulative value of McCain's homes does not surpass the value of some of the individual homes John Kerry owns.

As an Illinoisian, I can speak w/ credibility that IL has to be one of the most, if not the most corrupt, state of the union. Barry (as Barack preferred to be called in his younger days) is right in the middle of it all w/ Tony Rezko and Governor Blago. Won't it be fun if he's elected and he brings all the "favors" he owes people to DC?

Change??? That's all you'll have in your pocket after he and his obliging Democratic congress are done taxing you. Has anyone thought it could be change for the worse? The Germans voted for change too!!! I know Barry can and should not be compared to Hitler, but change is change. Isn't it?

People laugh at W for various reasons, but he had tons more experience (in the private and public sectors) leading in a variety of arenas, prior to his election, than Barry ever has.

I'm not a fan of McCain, but given the options, the choice is clear. Once you get behind the media hype/infatuation, personal nuances, and public personas, John is better suited to lead our dearly loved country.

I want my country and this world safe for my 2 little kids at home. I don't want them victims of another 9/11. McCain clearly is better prepared for that and has a set on him for the task. Leading is often doing the unpopular thing.
PressOn
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PressOn »

climbing-dad wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:
rob runkle wrote:I think that it is sad when the presidential race gets to a point where one of the candidates has to feel guilty about being a successful capitalist.
That's for public records to show. But wasn't it family connections for Al Gore (Al Gore Sr.) and John Kerry (Teresa Heinz) also?

As a side note...the cumulative value of McCain's homes does not surpass the value of some of the individual homes John Kerry owns.

As an Illinoisian, I can speak w/ credibility that IL has to be one of the most, if not the most corrupt, state of the union. Barry (as Barack preferred to be called in his younger days) is right in the middle of it all w/ Tony Rezko and Governor Blago. Won't it be fun if he's elected and he brings all the "favors" he owes people to DC?

Change??? That's all you'll have in your pocket after he and his obliging Democratic congress are done taxing you. Has anyone thought it could be change for the worse? The Germans voted for change too!!! I know Barry can and should not be compared to Hitler, but change is change. Isn't it?

People laugh at W for various reasons, but he had tons more experience (in the private and public sectors) leading in a variety of arenas, prior to his election, than Barry ever has.

I'm not a fan of McCain, but given the options, the choice is clear. Once you get behind the media hype/infatuation, personal nuances, and public personas, John is better suited to lead our dearly loved country.

I want my country and this world safe for my 2 little kids at home. I don't want them victims of another 9/11. McCain clearly is better prepared for that and has a set on him for the task. Leading is often doing the unpopular thing.
=D> =D> =D>
Last edited by PressOn on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God
has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." --Phil 3:15-16
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

climbing-dad wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:

Why is it that when democrats spend money, it's soooo bad, but when republicans do it, you know, like spending billions on an unjust war, it's perfectly fine? And trying to correlate change in the US and change in NAZI Germany is appalling at best.

Oh, and don't kid yourself. . . having McCain in the office will make us no safer from the threat of terrorism than Obama
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

VWLover wrote: Oh, and don't kid yourself. . . having McCain in the office will make us no safer from the threat of terrorism than Obama
Your suppose to put sarcasm in pink, you know...
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

"Ignorance spreads lies
How much will money buy
Well I'll take my time
As I drift and die"
pknight
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pknight »

Wow, quoting a song! That shows political savvy...
One thing I can not figure out is how people are always willing to bag on Bush for being in the Air Guard. I know plenty of people in the Air Guard who have gone through just as much as anyone on Active Duty. Hell, guys in the guard sometimes have i harder. They do it part time, so when they do get the chance to, they are training harder. They fill just an many flying lines as the active duty guys do. On my last deployment, almost a third of the dudes flying were from the Air Guard or reserves, and they were damn good pilots. They do there part as much as anyone else. They also volunteered to do the job, and I'm tired of people trying to cheapen their sacrifice by saying it was "just the guard." Tell it to every family who has had a son die who was "just in the guard" that it doesn't count, because you seem to be wanting to say that it doesn't. They spend time away from their families the same as the acitve guys do, and a lot of times take a pay cut when they come on active duty from their civilian job. Both of my parents were Air Guard, and I consider it to be legit service. I'm tired of people whose idea of sacrifice is sending ten bucks a month to the starving kids commercial ripping on guys who dedicate a significant portion of their lives in service in the guard.
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

pknight wrote:Wow, quoting a song! That shows political savvy...
Not quoting... Just jamming to my ipod at work, and sharing. Definitely not politcal...
rollin
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rollin »

by Oman on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 am

Sorry to interrupt such high-minded political discourse with a public service announcement, but John McCain has lost his house keys. Has anyone seen them?
Yeah, Rezko and Obama ripped them off.
jhodlof
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jhodlof »

VWLover wrote: Oh, and don't kid yourself. . . having McCain in the office will make us no safer from the threat of terrorism than Obama
climbing-dad wrote:I want my country and this world safe for my 2 little kids at home. I don't want them victims of another 9/11.[/b] McCain clearly is better prepared for that and has a set on him for the task. Leading is often doing the unpopular thing.
As long as people think this way we will never be safe from the grim specter of terror. It is unlikely that either candidate possess the means or the determination to exact retribution for previous acts or to prevent future ones. We created the terrorists and we will continue to do so until we are no longer involved in their spheres.

Regardless of you opinion on the terrorism or what should be done about it, its a very poor political litmus test.
pknight
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pknight »

We created the terrorists? Pretty sure fanatical Muslim clerics and their teachings, the likes of which are being quoted today, were originally written back in the 12th and 13th century. We can buy into the propaganda and believe the bullsh*t that because we are in certain parts of the world, we made terrorists, or acknowledge the fact that some ideologies promote and rely on fanatical violence to exist. Most of the quoted Imams and the like were alive a thousand years ago, well before America even existed. I am wondering how we created that? Maybe CNN shouldn't be your one resource. Read a book, like, the Koran, and then tell me that we created terrorists. That book(and I am not a fan of any organized religion, let alone Islam) is full of passages encouraging and condoning violence, and while I am not a history major, I am pretty sure America, the "we" you refer to, had nothing to do with it's writer or teachings.