The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
dholm
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Lost: Skis on Torrey's Peak/Ski Recovery Mission

Post by dholm »

With your track record, just do everyone a favor and let SAR know your itinerary a few days before your next trip. Then, they can be sure to not even wait for a call but instead just plan on showing up and bailing you out.
jwproulx
14ers: 56  10  1 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jwproulx »

Bill -- check out the usename of the user who posted that comment on TGR. ;)

As to the question of why Chris Davenport can get away with skiing Dead Dog in February -- read his TR.
Dav wrote:I wasn't sure if we would get a shot at the Dead Dog, but from the top it looked pretty good, once you got into the couloir. The upper 200 feet was wind loaded (on top of the dust layer) and as I dropped in off the summit and did a few ski cuts, I got a few small pockets of snow to break loose and move a bit. But it was just the top foot of snow that moved, and traversing into the couloir gave better and more stable conditions. The three of us skied from safe zone to safe zone, one at a time, and then skied the entire bottom half of the couloir non-stop to the bottom of the bowl.
There's a lot in there on how he mitigated risk. Bottom line, Davenport brings a lot of skill and smarts to the game. I won't armchair his decisions, but I also won't base my own decisions on what some ridiculously experienced pro did. The line between "safe" and "bloody dangerous" in BC skiing can be very thin, and when you have less experience it can be very hard to know when you've crossed it, even when it's obvious to more experienced skiers.
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

Brian Kimball wrote: Im pretty sure you would have had a "1st winter descent" and definitely "first winter figure 11 descent" of that line and if you would have stuck it with cameras rolling then you probably could have scored some new skis I am sure.
Wouldn't have been a first, but maybe a first descent while on one ski :wink: , we skied that line a few winters ago after a winter dead dog outing that was so stable we had to go back for the money line off the face. We also got armchaired into a 4 or 5 page thread on TGR about it even without an avalanche.

Tell you what MrWaffles, I might help you out to get your ski back, but you gotta do a few things for me too:

1) take avy level 1 and 2. upon completion of these classes I wanna see your certificates of completion, and I want you to give me the phone number of your instructor to call him/her and ask about your performance in the class.

2) Write a 2 page single spaced letter to your parents and family explaining that you have died in an avalanche, why you partake in the outdoors activities that you do, what you get out of it, how you go about mitigating danger, and saying your last goodbyes to all your loved ones. This letter you should leave somewhere for a friend to give to your relatives when/if you die. The BASE jumping schools often make new students write this before their first jump and it helps to not only put things into perspective, but makes people tread carefully for the rest of their extreme sports careers and helps to really feel the severity of every action and its possible consequences.

3) Buy a Spot messenger, activate it and carry it everywhere.

4) Buy the 2 SAR teams that you got called out gift baskets, something big, and nice probably with booze, chocolates, and cured meats.

I'm 100% serious with this post and the things listed above, this is not a joke, PM me if you wanna talk more about it. I'm not guaranteeing Ill find anything, but once I deem the conditions safe enough to go look Ill check it out and let you know, so get started fulfilling the above 4 items, there might be a few more added as I think of them...
Couloir than you are
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Post by George James »

...and Waffles too. Tasty Waffles with LOTS of syrup.

[youtubevideo]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YyEdny5rh8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YyEdny5rh8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtubevideo]
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Couloirman,

Awesome post, especially #2, I might have to sit down and do that.

As to #4, he'll have to have someone else buy the booze. :D
Prairie Native
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

Stop flaming him. He gets it. goodness. I hope none of you ever make a mistake ever. I understand the largeness of the f up, but seriously, keep it positive, or don't post, or PM him.
Something witty.
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

Prairie Native wrote:Stop flaming him. He gets it. goodness. I hope none of you ever make a mistake ever. I understand the largeness of the f up, but seriously, keep it positive, or don't post, or PM him.
Right on. Let's get back to what's important here: is an earthquake going to avalanche the Coalpit Headwall and kill us all?

skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Oh man.... I want that so bad. I look at it every day from work.

Do you know anybody who's done it recently? I bet the entrance isn't as sketchy after these last two weeks.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Senor Waffles, have you seen Davenport's movie?
I wonder what Dav would have thought of your R2D2 slide. Would he have thought of it as a slab to kick off before skiing the line?
The movie is pretty crazy. In one scene he's skiing down Maroon and has to stop below a rock band as his sluff mosies by. The voice over during the scene is him talking about "managing sluff".
Of course you shouldn't think you can do what he does until you start winning extreme skiing competitions and spend a few years in the avy control business.
If I were you I'd take couliorman's offer.
That Coalpit Headwall looks nice...
Mrwaffles989
14ers: 19  11  4 
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Mrwaffles989 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Well, the comments over on TGR were pretty much the same.

Phil, I hope you were being sarcastic when you said this: "So what if 2 out of 3 of my trips turned into SAR calls, who hasn't had a few SAR callouts?"
I'm not sirjongalot. I have no idea who that is. I dont go on TGR. Someone has way too much time...
Mrwaffles on Facebook

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for Godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches-that is the right and privilege of any free American." -Edward Abbey,
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

cheeseburglar wrote:Senor Waffles, have you seen Davenport's movie?
Wait, is the movie out yet? or did you catch one of the sneak previews last year?
Couloir than you are
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Couloirman wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:Senor Waffles, have you seen Davenport's movie?
Wait, is the movie out yet? or did you catch one of the sneak previews last year?
Hmmm. I saw it at the 5 point film festival in Carbondale, last May I think. I thought it was quite sneaky of me.
Is he still having problems with the man not letting him do a general release?