Forum rules
This forum is read-only
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Re: stuck truck on Mt. Cameron

Post by covfrrider »

Tropical Flab wrote:Jesus Christ, can't we have a single thread on here that doesn't degrade into a petty bickering contest?
no.
getwrenchy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by getwrenchy »

I decided to register as a member so I could respond to this thread. A buddy and I were hiking doing the final run from Cameron to Bross when we saw what looked like a truck coming towards us. As we got closer to each other, it turned out to be a older teenager on a brand new dirt bike with his dad following in his brand new truck. We got to the part where the trail kinda takes a little dip and gets skinner (for about 10 feet) which was where we crossed paths with the oncoming idiots. My buddy and I sat down to grab a drink and watch the entertainment as we were shocked that this guy in the truck was actually attempting this. The dirt biker obviously wasn't too experienced because he could barely work the clutch and didn't have much control over the bike. The dirt bike's rear tire started slipping as he tried to get grip, but his rear end slid off the trail and he dug himself a rut. He shut off the bike and got off and had to lift the rear end out of the rocks to get it back onto stable ground. Meanwhile, the Dad is sitting in the truck with two other small kids watching his son getting stuck. This should have been a good indication that it might be more difficult to get your truck out of a situation like this than it is for a dirt bike. Anyway, the dirt bike kept going up the trail towards Cameron and Dad came trucking right behind. He got to the dip in the trail and had the truck on 2 tires; front right and back left with a nice twist in his frame. He had to back up 2 times and finnally gunned it to get past this point. Right after the dip he was a little out of control given the power his big truck just unleashed on the mountain, and his truck began to tilt towards the right, ie down the mountain. I could see the left side springs extending and then his truck got on the two right wheels with the left wheels just above the ground. I tried to get my camera out fast, but he quickly took action and attempted to correct the situation by driving more uphill, and that's when his back right tire started spinning and the rear end went off the trail. We're sitting about 10 feet away from all this (on the uphill side of course) so we had an awesome viewpoint. At this point we realized that this guy is not going to give up and we really didn't want to be involved in his rescue attempt, so we headed on. We kept looking back and the guy kept trying to get all his tires back on the trail, but all the loose rock wasn't helping and he kept sliding down. Anyway, enjoy the pictures!
Attachments
"This looks like a good place to take a break kids.  Hop on out and bask in your father's accomplishment"
"This looks like a good place to take a break kids. Hop on out and bask in your father's accomplishment"
Truck 3 Small.JPG (184.55 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
"My new truck should make this no problem!"
"My new truck should make this no problem!"
Truck 2 Small.JPG (231.88 KiB) Viewed 4898 times
Still on the trail/road, but back tires loosing grip.  The beginning of the end.
Still on the trail/road, but back tires loosing grip. The beginning of the end.
Truck 1 Small.JPG (215 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

THANK YOU, getwrenchy, for bringing back the hilarity* and hubris of this original thread!

* - Not to be taken too lightly, though: putting kids (how old?) in absolute danger, not just of rolling over but also getting stuck/needing to wait/needing to unwittingly hike down most of a 14er without adequate preparation (presumably).

Nice pictures and play-by-play!
Duffus Kentucky Climber
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Duffus Kentucky Climber »

We get use to seeing people pull stupid redneck s#*& like this in Kentucky. Usually it is preceeded by "Hey, watch this.............!"

Thanks for the details.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Dang, I was on Lincoln summit Sat and missed this site unless happened later on---oxygen deprivation mabey :oops:
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

Now that I have seen the pictures and a spin by spin description this guy was reckless to say the least for attempting this. I haven''t checked but is this area in a Wilderness? Major fine and or confiscation of his "motorized vehicle". Kojones may have been correct in his......never mind. I'll leave it alone for now. A final outcome might be interesting if anyone hears of it.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It's not a wilderness, and the trail he was on is labelled as a 4WD road on the USGS topos, if that matters.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

Jim Davies wrote:It's not a wilderness, and the trail he was on is labelled as a 4WD road on the USGS topos, if that matters.
I don't think it matters. It does not look like a road to me
OBC13
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

Hmmmm I really don't think this truck is going anywhere. Who are you going to hire to go up there? Tow company? Maybe, but I doubt they'd take on the risk. Would a 4WD club help out?
Perhaps this group can update us by the end of this week. :lol:
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 96#p257496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Wow. Just wow. Seriously, who is going to recover that vehicle, lol.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

mattpayne11 wrote:Wow. Just wow. Seriously, who is going to recover that vehicle, lol.
If it's still up there the weekend the 14'ers gathering happens, we'll get it down and it will be the centerpiece next to the bonfire.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
pnolans
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

cheeseburglar wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:Wow. Just wow. Seriously, who is going to recover that vehicle, lol.
If it's still up there the weekend the 14'ers gathering happens, we'll get it down and it will be the centerpiece next to the bonfire.
I'm wondering... would "finders, keepers" apply here? It might MAKE a good bonfire.

Too harsh?
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine